how to tell if it's 2012 or 2013 SRAM Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been lurking around on ebay trying to spot some good deals on a 2013 SRAM Red groupset. some used version looks great condition and since i don't race, it should be ok. but how can i tell if they are the actual 2013 sram red and not the 2012 model?

afterall, it's not listed on the parts itself, or is it?

finally.. this may sound silly.. but any chance of tuning the 2013 to be even lighter? or should i look at buying parts separately to reduce the weight further?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's a bit confusing, since technically the newest Red was available in 2012, and here we are in 2013 (with a new Red announced in a few weeks)

So are you trying to differentiate between:

A) Red pre-2012 and Red post-2012 (current)...
or
B) Red post-2012 and Red 2013 (still 10spd)
or
C) Red post-2012 and Red 2013- (11 spd)

??

As for the second question: making it lighter, the answer is yes. Of course! You can tune anything that is stock and make it lighter. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

hi alex... i guess what i was trying to figure out is the 2013 red that is the lightest weight over the 2012 model. i doubt the 11 speed will help me much.. i'm trying to change the components on my addictR1 into a climbing machine, yet have the speed on the flats. :)

sigismond0

by sigismond0

You can tell if it's current Red if it looks like this

jipperd

by jipperd

The picture you've shown is current 2012/2013 red groupset.
Below you'll find 2010/2012 red groupset.
Note the diffrent, crank, shifters, brakes and derailleurs.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Also, remember that the 2010/2012 Red BLACK group is still available. If it doesn't look like the first photo, it's the older technology.

lovestheclimb

by lovestheclimb

Do you mean the new style SRAM Red (shown in image 1) and how to tell if it was manufactured in 2012 or 2013?
Because you can't unless you check serial numbers with SRAM and they can give you manufacture date.....

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

Those pictures are very helpful

addictR1

by addictR1

awesome.. thanks for the pics... defintely helps out a lot!

kcnc brakes... are they lighter than the current RED?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Many brakes are significantly lighter than the stock brakes from manufacturers. The tradeoff, sometimes, can be braking power. For example, SRAM Red's brakes are exceptionally well rated (along with Dura-Ace), but they're comparatively heavy compared to the brakes WW prefer.

KCNC has a few different brake options (different levels, C7, C6, for example) - and the reviews can be mixed depending on what type of terrain you ar riding, your weight, what pads you use, and so forth.

Right now the best "deal" for light weight might be the Planet-X CNC brakes (also under different brands) as they have relatively strong braking power and modulation. Certainly not Dura-Ace or Red, but pretty great regardless and much lighter.

Braking power will be vastly improved by choosing the right pad and using the correct pad with the correct braking surface (aluminum or carbon).

djconnel

by djconnel

SRAM's April 1 teaser for 2×11

Good chance to scoop up some old 10 speed cassettes at a good price, I suppose.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

^^^^
I just did, actually! XG-1090 heading my way for a nice sum.

addictR1

by addictR1

alex.. where did you score some XG-1090 for cheap? also.. SRAM Red group shifts like butter and quiet? i've always used ultegra.. so either way it will be a big change for me. :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SRAM in general is best described as a very direct and mechanical-sounding click. Similar to Campagnolo maybe in the 'thunk' of the shifting of gears. Shifts well though, just as all groups shift well regardless of tier. What you're getting with Red is the loss in weight and the 'latest tech' as the lower levels get features trickled down from the top.
Shimano shifting by comparison is very quiet and 'smooth' in feel.
Campagnolo has its own flares and values too.

I suggest you stop by a local shop or ask a friend and try to get a test ride in on a Campagnolo and a SRAM drivetrain to see what style you like best in feel, sound, lever shape for your hands, and action method. They're all different and they each work very well! Top tiers for Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo are always going to be the lightest (and most expensive).

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks for the tip.. maybe i'll swing by LBS over the weekend to give it a try. my friend recently upgraded to the 2013 dura ace and he said it shifted like butter. for me, my goal is to drop the weight on my addictR1... it's way to heavy now.

i don't mind the mechanical sounding click.. probably will sound like a 1DX when pressing the shutter. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com