2012 vs 2013 campy zondas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

Hello everyone, i am going to be picking up a set of zondas soon, ive been planning to go with the new 2013 with the mega g3 lacing. But i have found a great deal on new 2012 zondas with the normal g3 lacing, has anyone compared these wheels? The mega g3 is supposed to be stiffer but i know the old model is very proven and often came in under weight to boot!

ticou

by ticou

Get the Mega's dude. You'll thank me later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Excuse my infinite ignorance but what exactly is the difference between the two?

TA, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Normal G3 vs Mega G3? I think the grouping of the spokes is more aggressive on the 2013 ones, meaning that they are closer together on the 2013 model. What this means in terms of performance, I have no clue
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's something to do with a larger flange, but I don't know what that is relative too as I'm not that familiar with the Zondas. I don't think it has anything to do with the grouping of the spokes or their spacing. That's the same as far as I know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Geoff

by Geoff

My wife has an older pair of Erus, which are plenty stiff. I have recently received a pair of 2-way Shamal Ultras for my tubeless test. They have the 'Mega G3' hub design. As compared to the older design, the Mega G3 has a larger diameter drive-side flange. That would change the spoke length and geometry, effectively making a stiffer, stronger wheel.

The old wheel is pretty stiff. If you can find the old wheel much cheaper, I don't think you would feel a difference.

Incidentally, the Shamal feels a lot lighter...

ticou

by ticou

At 3X the price they should be!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The old wheel is pretty stiff. If you can find the old wheel much cheaper, I don't think you would feel a difference.

If the old wheels are the 2005 era Eurus then I can assure you that the difference in vertical stiffness is not subtle. Personally I prefer the old ones.

Ciao, ;)

sawyer

by sawyer

As a 2012 Zonda owner I would say it doesn't make much difference. If the 2013 were knock-out stiff we'd have heard all about it. 2012s are decently stiff and VFM. Ride nicer than shamals and eurus on all but the smoothest french silk.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com