"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

It's amazing power Cancellara has got.
What I find quite disturbing is that nobody was even close.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Oh no, not again!

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

No talk about the women's Ronde? From the one highlights package I can find, Vos put in a magnificent performance. The racing looked equally if not more exciting than the men's race.

Surprisingly this is the first time she's won it.

Also, the odd looking Scott Foil posted a couple of pages ago is in fact the new Scott Addict

hansonator69

by hansonator69

35 mm depth version of Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR
Slam your stem.

Zitter

by Zitter

fabian's winning bike weighed 7.5kg or 16.53lb w/o computer

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... e-6-series

jsinclair

by jsinclair

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/oke ... 2h294.html

Prend, you rated a mention in the last few lines.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

What a disappointment. If you don't find this behavior unacceptable and utterly lacking in class there's something wrong with you as well. I'll be cheering for every opponent he battles in the future. He's no Merckx or Kelly. There's a lot more to being a champion than being the fastest on any given day.
Colnago e Campagnolo

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jsinclair wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/okely-gropely-sagans-flanders-act-sexist-and-harassing-say-critics-20130401-2h294.html

Prend, you rated a mention in the last few lines.

I don't understand the phrasing you used (might be one of a few colloquial differences in variations of English), but I'll guess that the last few lines of the article are in reference to earlier discussions in this thread...

Which brings me back to this: are you thinking I actually condone his actions? Because I do not. In fact, why don't you (and while we're at it, the multiple personalities of artray) go back and take a read of this thread. Please do. I'll wait. Go for it....

You'll find: I do not condone his actions - but I also point out that he's a young kid. I point out that he should mature. In fact, I mention this several times. He also apologized (albeit via twitter) for his actions, which is a hopeful sign - again, as I wrote earlier - that he will mature in time.

Now, what I'm wondering is this: is there a serious difficulty in people being able to read clearly? At what point did I actually condone his actions? Seriously, when? I suggested some possible reasons for it, and did point out that he is young, but do I condone his actions? No. Did I state then as I state now that he needs to mature and change that aspect? Yes. How are you and others missing that? Are you seriously not reading?

What I don't understand - of many of you here - is that when one person praises a rider's actions in the race, you assume that the same person is suddenly making a hero of that rider... I really don't see that unless that person states that exact phrase. Where are many of you making that illogical leap or assumption?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103986&p=925677&hilit=heroes#p925677
prendrefeu wrote:I never understood why a professional athlete would be considered a "hero" when they do nothing to directly affect the future of the world. ...
Professional athletes are not heroes.

Pro cycling, like any professional sport, is just entertainment. That's all it really is. Sure there's an industry in alignment with a sport, and as such the entertainment value of that sport helps support (in some part, but not completely) the industry - and there's an economy with that industry (jobs, families, livlihoods, etc:.) but in the end it's just entertainment. As I write this professional sport has absolutely no real-world consequence. Professional athletes, no matter how they are paid, have very little or no impact on the well being of the world while they are professional athletes. They certainly have the capability of making an impact afterwards, but the liklihood is low. The future of the world, whether it be in cures for diseases, explored lands, environmental issues, social issues, or even things such as land aquisitions, power and control (ie, wars) is never affected by sport. If the UCI ends tomorrow, if there are no more pro races to watch, I'll still go out and ride my bike. It won't affect how much I enjoy my ride. It won't change my desire to improve as a cyclist or affect in any way my desire to improve in other aspects of my life. Sport, in the end, is just enterainment. Why do people take it so seriously?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

prendrefeu wrote:Sport, in the end, is just enterainment. Why do people take it so seriously?

Maybe it means more to them than it does to you? :noidea:

jsinclair

by jsinclair

prendrefeu wrote:I don't understand the phrasing you used (might be one of a few colloquial differences in variations of English), but I'll guess that the last few lines of the article are in reference to earlier discussions in this thread...

Which brings me back to this: are you thinking I actually condone his actions? Because I do not. In fact, why don't you (and while we're at it, the multiple personalities of artray) go back and take a read of this thread. Please do. I'll wait. Go for it....

You'll find: I do not condone his actions - but I also point out that he's a young kid. I point out that he should mature. In fact, I mention this several times. He also apologized (albeit via twitter) for his actions, which is a hopeful sign - again, as I wrote earlier - that he will mature in time.

Now, what I'm wondering is this: is there a serious difficulty in people being able to read clearly? At what point did I actually condone his actions? Seriously, when? I suggested some possible reasons for it, and did point out that he is young, but do I condone his actions? No. Did I state then as I state now that he needs to mature and change that aspect? Yes. How are you and others missing that? Are you seriously not reading?

What I don't understand - of many of you here - is that when one person praises a rider's actions in the race, you assume that the same person is suddenly making a hero of that rider... I really don't see that unless that person states that exact phrase. Where are many of you making that illogical leap or assumption?

"rated a mention" just means that the article referred to you. obviously i don't actually mean referring to you personally, but to those that might have excused it by virtue of sagan's age.

i dont think that you condone his actions, i didnt suggest that either. i actually think more of that than you, but i was a little disappointed to see you attempt to rationalize it the way you did.

i happen to be the same age as Peter Sagan, so if you are suggesting that i too might behave in that way, or think its ok, they you are mistaken. as you pointed out earlier, he is from a small town of 80,000 or so. i also grew up in a town with roughly the same population, but that doesnt mean i think its ok. to suggest that it is then a product of his upbringing in slovakia does a rather large disservice to those that live there.

his apology seemed half-baked and insincere at best.

prendrefeu wrote:Pro cycling, like any professional sport, is just entertainment. That's all it really is. Sure there's an industry in a........

sportspeople often raise and donate money to charity, and some charities are solely built around this fundraising model, so the real world implications definitely exist.

i think you only need to watch the paralympics to see that sportspeople can be heros, oscar pistorius (allegedly) notwithstanding. i went to school with this guy, he is undoubtedly a hero.

erty65

by erty65

Liggero wrote:Nice to see Fabian in 25mm (i guess they were not 28, just 25's in a wide rim) tires. I wonder is that is also a good choice for le tour roads, or just the tires width to choose from now on, instead of 23's. what do you guys think?
He did ride over cobblestones, and european roads in general might be getting in bad shape due to financial troubles.

erty65

by erty65

ave wrote:It's amazing power Cancellara has got.
What I find quite disturbing is that nobody was even close.
Lack of cooperation in the 20-25 man group?

jooo

by jooo

@erty65 - I think so. Fabian sure is fast and may still have won had the group been more organised but IMO, it would almost certainly have been by a much smaller margin. Lack of cohesion in a group like that is not always the case, but completely normal none the less.

ico

by ico

Few days ago I said that Sagan is just young. No, he is rude.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com