2011 BMC Team Machine bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

A simple measurement would show what the frame actually has, which is even better than asking the manufacturer.

See http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bottom_B ... _2573.html

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

As a former BMC dealer and having built up both style team machines with campy, the 2011 team machine and race machine both used a standard 42mm ID BB30 bottom bracket shell. You will want to use the Campy press fit adapters for bb30 or 42mm frames.

In 2012, BMC switched to a bb86 bottom bracket which absolutely doesn't work with BB30 cranks. If your frame has bb30 bearings in it, there is no doubt that it is a 2011.

The part # you need is: IC12-RE42. Just make sure you don't get PF30 and BB30 mixed up. The PF30 has a 46mm OD which won't work with your frame.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wadetheking

by wadetheking

743power wrote:As a former BMC dealer and having built up both style team machines with campy, the 2011 team machine and race machine both used a standard 42mm ID BB30 bottom bracket shell. You will want to use the Campy press fit adapters for bb30 or 42mm frames.

In 2012, BMC switched to a bb86 bottom bracket which absolutely doesn't work with BB30 cranks. If your frame has bb30 bearings in it, there is no doubt that it is a 2011.

The part # you need is: IC12-RE42. Just make sure you don't get PF30 and BB30 mixed up. The PF30 has a 46mm OD which won't work with your frame.

Thanks '743power'. This seems the most straight forward answer I have received (or least the one I easily understood.) With this information I will purchase a new groupset selecting the 'BB3068x42' option and also purchase the adapter as per your recommendations.

Cheers

Kneedragon

by Kneedragon

I have a 2011 Team Machine with Campy. The bottom bracket on my frame (and yours) is BB30. It measures 68mm x 42mm.

For Campagnolo Ultra Torque, you will need to get the Ultra Torque Press Fit Integrated Cups that measure 68x42.

For Campagnolo Power Torque, you will need to get the Power Torque Press Fit Integrated Cups that measure 68x42.

If you're buying the entire groupset online, they will typically allow you to choose the bottom bracket type. Pick the one that says BB30 68x42. They will sent you the BB30 cups you need, rather than the "outboard" BB86 cups. The main difference visually is that the BB30 cups are press fit (has no threads), and the BB86 cups are screw in (has threads).

You should not need to purchase any "adapter" in addition to what is provided in a complete groupset. I hope this is clear, because that's about as clear as it's going to get! :D

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Kneedragon wrote:They will sent you the BB30 cups you need, rather than the "outboard" BB86 cups. The main difference visually is that the BB30 cups are press fit (has no threads), and the BB86 cups are screw in (has threads).

That's incorrect. BB86 cups (86.5x41) are pressfit just like the BB30x42 and BB30x46 cups.
The outboard cups are threaded to suit English or Italian bottom brackets.

All are available to suit Ultra Torque or Power Torque chainsets.