Mixing Sram XX with XX1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Darkside

by Darkside

I'm thinking about mixing up sram xx with xx1. I raced a four hour in the weekend & while racing round. I noticed a guy with sram xx1 & XTR.
And that got me thinking why not run xx cassette (10 speed 11-36) xx1 rear mec(11 speed adjusted for 10 speed) xx grip shift and xx1 cranks 39 tooth

I'm looking at the rear and thinking it only moves to where the shifter says too.
Doesn't the shifter tell the rear mec how far to move?
And looking at a rear xx1 looks like theres enough adjustment

Thoughts ???? :smartass: has anyone done this?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Why not just get an X0 type 2 rd?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

N.T

by N.T

it is likely that the xx1`s cable pull ratio is different from the xx= won`t work
I would do this;
Sram 1070 cassette +leonardi racing general lee ( this will give me 11-36 and 11-40 options)
sram x0 type2 rear derailleur
sram x0 or xx grip shifter
xx1 spider+chainring to my current crankset
Fuelled by kofein

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I think the cable pull is the same. The main difference with xx1 is that the front chainring is more like a single speed ring so the chain does not come off when you are at the extremes on the rear. Also, the bolt pattern for the XX1 chainrings/crank is I believe different so you can't just buy an XX1 chainring. Also, I think the chain is special too in order to prevent chain drop at the extremes. The rear der is different in that it is made to do the really large cog (I think it is 42). I think you could run the crank and chain with older type equipment in the rear as long as it was the type 2 rear der.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

wrenchmonkey

by wrenchmonkey

XX1 cable pull is different than 10 speed. I have set up my bike with XX1 crankset and X.0 type 2 rear derailleur 10 speed with no problems. The chains inner-plates are no different than 10 speed, the outer is slightly different but there is no issue.

limba

by limba

Here's a big thread of guys mixing all kinds of things together.

http://forums.mtbr.com/sram/sram-xx1-cr ... 18475.html

Wolf Tooth and Race Face and everyone else will have XX1 chain rings soon.

Personally, I'd just buy the full XX1 group and ride it the way it was designed.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

What I was trying to say is that I think the other RD's will work with the XX1 shifter. I realize that as an 11 speed, it pulls a different amount on each gear, but I think the geometry (leverage ratio) of the RD is the same so a combination of shifter and rear der would work across groups as long as you had the right amount of gears in the rear to match the shifter.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

XX1 derailleur works on a different basis than any other. It moves horizontally across the cassette range and vertically stays the same, as opposed to a conventional which moves up/down on an angle. Hope you know what I mean.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Darkside

by Darkside

Awesome guys thanks for the info, I'm going to buy the xx1cranks & try a xx1 rear mech only cause its lighter than the xo with clutch if xx1 rear mech doesnt work no probs, I am a weightweenie :D .
My Focus Raven 29er is 8.0kg before I change the setup so should drop 200-300g after the change.
I'll report back with feedback

grover

by grover

I know some of the guys using XX1 have been putting their cross wheels in for tarmac short track races with 10 speed cassettes on. Seems to work well enough to race short track/eliminators on. XX1 shifter, XX1 derailleur, XX1 cranks, XX1 chain, 10 speed cassette.

WolfTooth

by WolfTooth

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I am throwing it up here... A lighter alternative to XX1 - replace the XX1 ring+ spider w/ a DM ring:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 558&type=1

The DM ring is 28 grams lighter that the xx spider + ring. Or, if you can add a bash guard and still be approximately the same as XX1!

limba

by limba

Hmmm, post pics of the other chain ring sizes when you have time.

emike

by emike

WolfTooth
How about 102BCD rings?

WolfTooth

by WolfTooth

@Limba - Will do on the other ring sizes. The 34's are about a week out. The 36s and 38s are a ways out yet, as we haven't seen much demand. We expect much of the direct mount demand to come in smaller size 28-32 for fat biking and all mountain 29ers.

@emike - For the M960 crankset I assume? That could be done, but that BCD is kind an orphan so we haven't planned on it. If we see more demand that can change.
I actually have one of those cranksets personally and would use a ring if we made on!

WolfTooth

by WolfTooth

We had some questions come in regarding shipping to Asia (specifically Philippines) and other countries. The answer is that yes we ship anywhere. If there issue with checkout, please contact us via email (wolftoothcomponents@gmail.com) and we will get it resolved without our webstore host.

@Ome Rodriguez - I hope you see this. This forum would not let us reply to our private messages yet because we are new here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com