Reynolds Solace wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bicicleta

by bicicleta

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.ph ... itm_pk=678

Anybody have any experience with this wheelset?

Is it just a Stanz 340 laced with straight pull bladed spokes to Reynolds hubs?

I've been curious to try some tubeless wheels, but I'm not sure they are worth their retail price, if I can get them for a lower price I might be tempted.

Are there any better tubeless options close to 1400 grams and 800.00 USD?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinions.

dmp

by dmp

you can get hand builts under 1300g with Stan's rims for about $1000, depending on what hubs and spokes you chose, and you can get a set of built wheels from Stan's for $635 at about 1450g (look here: http://www.notubes.com/Alpha-340-Comp-Wheelset--P895.aspx. I don't know anyone who has these, so I can't comment on build quality, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bicicleta

by bicicleta

dmp wrote:you can get hand builts under 1300g with Stan's rims for about $1000, depending on what hubs and spokes you chose, and you can get a set of built wheels from Stan's for $635 at about 1450g (look here: http://www.notubes.com/Alpha-340-Comp-Wheelset--P895.aspx. I don't know anyone who has these, so I can't comment on build quality, etc.

Thanks dmp, if those stanz use their Version 2 rim then they're worth a look, they use AC hubs which I already own in my AC Sprint 350, haven't had a problem with them in about 2000 miles of use. I have no idea if the Reynolds hubs are any worse than AC's.

I'm not too crazy about the looks of the 28/32 spokes though, I weight around 70K. so I think I could go 20/24 or 24/28 for a better look, vain I know :?

And just to go off topic in my own thread, Anybody know if Pacentis 23 new rim can be used in a tubeless configuration?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Rim depth matches Stan's, and they mention Stan's BST... But that's hella heavy for a 20/24 build. No idea why Reynolds would use another company's rim though. I feel like Stan's own wheelset will be lighter and cheaper and you're only paying for advertising for one company. The only downside is possibly some better hubs with the Reynolds.

dmp

by dmp

Bicicletta, I think all they are selling now is the newer version rims- they had the older ones on clearance last year and they are not on the website any more. They also sell a 24/28 version for about $800 that's about 1400g. Not sure of its an upgraded hub, too.

bicicleta

by bicicleta

The wheels definitely use Stans rims, I guess that's a "plus" in case of busting one up, they're easy to replace.

About the proprietary flat bladed spokes I have no idea if they do anything for wheel stiffness and if they change the ride quality of the wheels very much, say compared to Sapim Cx-Ray. At 1400 grams they look good enough for an all around wheel.
The hubs seem to be new for 2012-13, I have zero experience with them nor have I found any reviews about them.

Reynolds advertise them as a cyclocross wheel as well, so who knows if they stand up to some abuse, I'll check with the LBS what's the best price they have on them.

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com