Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

Thanks Kyle and ms6073.

What's the weight of these rims? Is there a cross-section diagram? I'd like to compare these against the older 50mm clinchers that I have.

Has there been any aerodynamic testing or modeling? I'm not really expecting that but it'd be really cool if it happened.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

do you know what kind of veloplugs we need with these rims, yellow or red??

thanks
Ninja

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Can I get your opinions guys? I already have 50mm tubs and I am after either the FSC20-T or the FSC24-TM. I weigh 79kgs (175lbs) and I want to use them as my main wheels and the 50s more for racing. Am I mad for thinking of those ( I really like their weight) or I should go for something more robust and heavy like the nemesis?

eric

by eric

I have a set of FSC24TMs. I weigh 30 lbs less than you. I expected them to be super flexy but they're decently stiff for what they are. But there's no way I would use them as every day wheels.

thprice

by thprice

astranoc wrote:Can I get your opinions ... either the FSC20-T or the FSC24-TM ... to use them as my main wheels ...

I am similar weight to you and use the FSL24-TM rims with tune hubs as my main wheels.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87659&start=150#p960335

Only 2500 km to date, awaiting a little more distance before giving the thumbs up, but so far so good, including some good descents (30 km, 1300 m) without issues.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

eric wrote:Thanks Kyle and ms6073.

What's the weight of these rims? Is there a cross-section diagram? I'd like to compare these against the older 50mm clinchers that I have.

Has there been any aerodynamic testing or modeling? I'm not really expecting that but it'd be really cool if it happened.

Eric, 430g/pc +/-10g, same as previus version. You can ask for section drawing by email.
We do test, vedio can be seen and downloaded on site http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/Ipxc ... r=Ynj_GLDn
if account and pass word needed, let me know. I had a try, it is not neccessary.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Just ordered a set of the 38mm 23mm wide clinchers! Can't wait to get them..I'm also thinking about getting a rear 50mm U-shape. Kyle has been attentive to my emails and is also just a funny guy to chat with. Hope it arrives in awesome shape! I'll post my review then!

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

So im slightly confused....Looking into buying either the 60mm or 88mm tubulars, but their are two versions of each; TM and TN. Can someone help me understand this? Other than weight I don't see a difference...

kulivontot

by kulivontot

TM rims are lighter than the TN rims, but more expensive. I don't think it's the same manufacturer between rims. I think it's like 100g per rim or so. I got the TM 88's built up with non-ceramic edhubs and it came to about 1460g. The 88's pick up crosswinds like crazy, almost unridable in many conditions, so it's pretty much a TT-only wheelset for me. I weigh 57kg, so that's part of the problem.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Being on the Far Sports mailing list, I received some drawings of what are supposed to be the newest versions of the regular (20.5mm) width 38mm and 50mm rims with the following details quoted verbatim. I make no claim to accuracy or reliability, just passing on the info FWIW.

"1 - Braking surface: high-temperature resin and basalt combined
2 - U-shape,more aerodynamics
3 - Special technology in side wall and valve hole
4 - Lightest weight: 390g--38mm clincher, 430g--50mm clincher."

" For valve hole,we use some special technologies to make it stronger. Besides,our design make the outside length of nipples is a little short than the normal one,so it can reduce the demage in riding."

Wingnut

by Wingnut

kulivontot wrote:I weigh 57kg, so that's part of the problem.

Wow that's light... :shock:

I'm sure my farts weigh more than that! :wink:

headwind816

by headwind816

4 - Lightest weight: 390g--38mm clincher, 430g--50mm clincher."

Wow! I wonder about durability?!?

StefanG

by StefanG

I thought all the new "U" shaped designs came in the 23mm or 25mm width vs the older 20.5mm width. Do other suppliers have U-shaped with a 20.5mm width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

If they don't now, I imagine they will soon...Far Sports is not a manufacturer, and I don't think these are a proprietary design in any respect, so there must be a factory spitting out these rims to whichever resellers want to buy them.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)