benefit of rear NDS radial lacing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Zen Cyclery wrote:A marked disadvantage that I've noticed is that radial NDS spokes can go slack particularly with a soft rim. If you were to lace up the XR200s or the old 340s with a radial NDS, I think you would be asking for trouble.

I do it all the time. Issues to date = ZERO.

I've put over 20k miles on personal wheels (I weigh 170lbs), with the XR200 (28 CX-Rays) and the 340 (24 CX-Rays), both radial laced on the NDS, and never touched them. The 340 even dropped a lot of tension with a tire on, but I left it just to see what would happen... and nothing ever did.

The only mechanism I can see for cross lacing to keep nipples from coming loose is if you have residual binding in the nipple/rim interface. And that is something I try to prevent in order to improve the life of the rim and spoke.
formerly rruff...

kavitator

by kavitator

One test set with XR 200 rim (white) and 28 spokes has radial NDS. No problems - but nipples are secured with loctite. Wheelset is stiff and true after more than 12.000km

under power of very good amateur racer :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_-Mapty10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ab01ns

by ab01ns

WMW wrote:
Zen Cyclery wrote:A marked disadvantage that I've noticed is that radial NDS spokes can go slack particularly with a soft rim. If you were to lace up the XR200s or the old 340s with a radial NDS, I think you would be asking for trouble.

I do it all the time. Issues to date = ZERO.

I've put over 20k miles on personal wheels (I weigh 170lbs), with the XR200 (28 CX-Rays) and the 340 (24 CX-Rays), both radial laced on the NDS, and never touched them. The 340 even dropped a lot of tension with a tire on, but I left it just to see what would happen... and nothing ever did.

The only mechanism I can see for cross lacing to keep nipples from coming loose is if you have residual binding in the nipple/rim interface. And that is something I try to prevent in order to improve the life of the rim and spoke.

sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm looking at building up a 340 wheelset laced radial NDS. Is your 340 12 each side, or 16 drive, 8 NDS. Have you had any problems with stiffness?

Thanks
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T