Opinions on 2013 Rockshox SID RL RLT & RCT3 forks?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the Rockshox 2013 SID RL RLT or RCT3 forks? Can get all three at a good price- the RL is slightly cheaper while the RLT and RCT3 is the same price.

My understanding is the RCT3 fork has the most sophisticated adjustment of the bunch, with three modes, while the RL and RLT is the conventional old style. RCT3 doesn't have a remote but I don't really want one to be honest.

This purchase will be for 26 inch, QR and 1 1/8 straight steerer. The weights of all three according to to the manufacturer are all basically the same at 1366g or so. RCT3 is 5-10 grams heavier. Seems like a good bang for buck and low weight for the money.

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

climr

by climr

I have both the RLT and RCT3 on two different bikes right now. I think the RCT3 damper is better, but not for the platform ability, just it's damping characteristics are better. But it's a pretty minor differences and these shocks are so damn sensitive it could just be that I got the + and - champers set better on the RCT3. In both cases, the lockouts suck compared to a Fox. I can barely even tell the RCT3 is locked out. My next fork will be a Fox, I just prefer the solid lockout and the Fox damping feel. YMMV.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Thanks for info, interesting your comments regarding the lockout. I've never owned a Fox fork so was not aware of this difference. Fox Float 32 is the equivalent to the SID right?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I prefer the Fox fork lockout for SS but I prefer the Rock Shox lockout for geared. With SS I have to stand and pump a lot more and the Fox lockout with the gate damper turned all the way up works best for that. When sitting and spinning uphills, I prefer the RockShox for the small amount of still well damped motion allowed. I have 2 of each. One of my RockShox is the RCT3 and it is my lightest fork and has the best damping of my 2 Rock Shocks. The middle dampener position is such that you could almost use it all day and never switch to locked out or full loose. The Fox forks have very good dampening and average adjustability. The RockShox dual airs are totally tunable and while it might take a little experimenting to fully figure it out once you do you can make the fork exactly like you want.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

socratease

by socratease

The RCT3's damper is the best damper I've ridden on besides the mission control DH. I just rode a fair amount on a kashima fit CTD fox, and while a bit stiffer at the beginning of the stroke, I think the RCT3 is much more composed. I would take that over the RLT, unless you are going to be using the lockout a fair amount, in which case the adjustable threshold is quite nice.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I totally agree with socratease. I have the Float 29 with FIT on my main SS and the Sid RCT3 on my Hardtail. The Fox is cushier on small bumps, but that uses up a significant amount of travel when you get into a lot of fast hard stuff and it loses it quicker in the really intense moments. Also, the Fox is a little taller and doesn't use that last few mm's of travel which actually raises your center of gravity. On the other hand, I would still buy the Fox again for my SS because you can turn the gate all the way locked and lock the fork almost totally. If Suspension Experts or someone can plug a hole to make the RCT3 lock up tight, it would be the best fork ever for any conditions or bike.

climr

by climr

Agreed that the Fox does ride a little taller. However, I actually prefer this in many situations because I feel like I have to run the SID with 30mm sag (100mm fork) to get the plushness I want. This means my HT angle is a bit steeper than I'd prefer.

Also agree that the RCT3 is a better damper at very high speed or "extreme" conditions. I always find I like the RCT3 more in a race situation (or just riding fast) than I do just normal trail riding. After a long slow training ride I'm thinking "this fork sucks" then after a race I'm thinking "this fork is amazing" :-)

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

climr; totally agree. The Fox is a better leisure fork and the Sid is a better fork. I have found that I can tune the SID to be almost as plush as the Fox. By leaving the + pressure the same and using the - pressure. If I put about 10 psi more in the neg air it makes the fork very plush for plush rides. If I put 10 psi less in the neg air it makes it a full on race shock. So I generally run 120 in the plus and 110 in the neg unless I just want to take it easy then I run 130 in the neg. As far as the sag goes, I tune mine with the same sag, but actually wouldn't consider that an issue since my Niners were designed for 80-100 forks and I am running 100 forks so a little extra sag would not negatively impact my handling.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My friend is a long time Fox lover and just purchased a SI RCT3 and loves it.
Since I trust his opinion, I just ordered a Sid XX WC to replace my Float RL.

Dennis

by Dennis

Anyone got the real weight for the rockshox RCT3 fork in 29er, ideal with tapered headtube and QR15. The Fox is claimed 1560gram, is the axle included in this weight? In simpeler version: witch one is the lightest?

hjb1000

by hjb1000

What about DT Swiss forks- am I crazy to consider these?

The XRC 100 and XRM 100 look super sweet, however I have read VERY mixed things about DT Swiss forks in general. The XRC fork although very light at 1250g has quite narrow stanchions and a concerningly low max rider weight of 95kg. The more durable and 'budget' option XRM has a listed weight of 1550g which isn't that great is it?

Should I just opt for the sensible SID RCT3 fork and be done with it, or are DT Swiss forks a feasible alternative?

protyne

by protyne

hjb1000 wrote:What about DT Swiss forks- am I crazy to consider these?

The XRC 100 and XRM 100 look super sweet, however I have read VERY mixed things about DT Swiss forks in general. The XRC fork although very light at 1250g has quite narrow stanchions and a concerningly low max rider weight of 95kg. The more durable and 'budget' option XRM has a listed weight of 1550g which isn't that great is it?

Should I just opt for the sensible SID RCT3 fork and be done with it, or are DT Swiss forks a feasible alternative?

Hi hjb1000 which fork did you go for eventually?

I'm considering between the SID RCT3 and DT Swiss XRC 100 (alu steering/rebound only). Do I need the compression setting? I have been riding on a Reba RL and now a Fox Float Rebound only adjustment all this while.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Hi everyone, I ended up getting the DT Swiss XRM fork with 15mm thru axle because I wanted something better than QR. If I wanted 15mm front and straight 1 1/8 with Rockshox I'd have to muck around buy a separate lower.
I've yet to build it up, but the build quality of the DT Swiss forks are great compared to the usual 'okay' Rockshox. Will update on how I go.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Can someome tell me, where I can find tuning guide or manual for SID RCT3 solo air. I don´t think it is on srams website.

Many thanks in advance!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

rainerhq wrote:Can someome tell me, where I can find tuning guide or manual for SID RCT3 solo air. I don´t think it is on srams website.

Many thanks in advance!

I don't see one either but this might help:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f5/sid ... de-258965/

It's for the dual air. Just ignore all the mention of negative chamber air and it should be good. If you're having trouble with your fork you might just ask questions to what you want to change.