Ritchey WCS V5 pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Need new pedals and thinking about the ritchey pedals. Anyone tried them and have anything to say about them?

The weight is fine compared to the xtr - is it possible to upgrade with ritchey with titanium axles?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrey

by andrey

Used them during last year. Do not see any difference in work with Shimano 540 or XT, which are used in parallel on the other bikes. Actual weight is 260g

limba

by limba

I've always liked Ritchey pedals but I've read heard the bearings don't last long.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

andrey wrote:Actual weight is 260g

That's the Pro version and not the WCS?

Limba - okay. Hmmm that's the reason why I'm so tired of my old eggbeaters so I don't want another pedal with the same problem. Sad.

What about those Xpedo with Ti axle? anyone tried those?

Avexo

by Avexo

If your racing, i would use some sort of shimano, time or egg beater.

the ritchey pedals arnt as compliant to clip into sometimes.

maybe try Time?

limba

by limba

The problem is the new, current XTR has bad bearings as well. People are wrecking them all the time even tearing the body off the spindle. I wanted XTR but passed based on online and local reviews. If I wreck my 70 dollar XT's I don't care.
Times are awesome as long as you can deal with the float and release/rotation angle to click out. I can't use Time pedals because I HATE the float. It drives me insane.

Times are bulletproof but I hate the float and release.
Eggs are light but not so durable and still have some float and same release point as Times (too much for me).
Shimano are kind of heavy but I prefer the release point.
Ritchey are lighter than Shimano but the newer versions aren't getting great reviews.

I'd buy Times if you can live with or even prefer some float or Eggs if you want light weight. Maybe buy two sets so you're always safe.

Best price I've seen on Eggs.
http://www.westernbikeworks.com/product ... edium=base

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

Had a set of Ritchies, but the bearings were shocking, IIRC lasted about 3 rides. Went back to XTR and four years on still have them. XTR every time.

sstefanov

by sstefanov

If you are looking for lightweight, reliable and Shimano SPD compatible pedals, I think your best bet is Xpeed XMF08TT. Mine came at 218g and have proven to be quite bomb proof. Even they have much better mud clearance than the M980 XTR.

Stefan

andrey

by andrey

Mads Kock wrote:
andrey wrote:Actual weight is 260g

That's the Pro version and not the WCS?

I'm using this one: http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... dale-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my region it was very muddy last season and I did in this conditions around 3500km of hard XC racing and training on them without any issues. My weight is 83-85kg and I'm quite powerfull guy. This season will be second for my pair

So, let's try them. I think for at least one season you will forget about pedal. Anyway in case of some problem you will not lost a lot money :wink:

JRacer

by JRacer

I've been using the same pedals as andrey (and bougth at the shop linked... :D ) for the last year and have no issues with them. I used eggbeaters for 7 years and wanted to try something different. I decided to try these as they are relatively light and cheap (€50 at that time). I did not want Shimano pedals as I did not want anything from Shimano on the bike (matter of principal :D)
I decided for the Pro version vs WCS because they are only 35 grams heavier, but 1/2 the price (at that time).

They are not as good at clipping in during muddy conditions as eggbeaters, but I knew that. You don't have the amount of float/rotation as an eggbeater, but with a proper setup of the cleats this isn't a issue either. I really like the fact that I can adjust the spring tension.
I've now put approx. 5000km on them and they are still perfect. No problems with inadvertent releasing during full power or any play on them. I would recommend them.

Ssalmon

by Ssalmon

I don't have any experience with the ritcheys, I like how well the XTRs work. I am currently using the look quartz and they are okay, I really really want the new s-traks. If you are doing endurance XC (30 miles or longer) the looks would be great because they have a nice contact area. I used them for cross last year and hey we're okay, but I think they would be a great option for XC.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hi guys - thanks for the replies. Think I'll give those Ritchey pedals a try. Was thinking about the new S-tracks but heard some bad things about them so if the Ritchey can last for a year without service it would be better than the Eggbeater 4Ti that I have now :-D

emike

by emike

Mads Kock wrote:Xpedo with Ti axle? anyone tried those?

Yep! XMF08TT(216g) - so far, so good! :thumbup:

vfb

by vfb

Anybody know if they will work with shimano spd cleats?
I have been on eggbeaters for 4 seasons, and within the last year i have broken 3 pairs of them. I have been very careful about them, and servicing them often. But they still broke, and the rebuild kit could not save them.
Before that i rode shimano spds but didn`t like them because i had a bad knee and there was not enough float in them. Over the winter i have used xtr and i actually like them. Yesterday i rode my summer bike with candy`s for the first time in 6 months, and kind of missed the xtr. But i don`t want anything from shimano on my race bike (of a principal matter). It is okay on my training bike...
I ride for fun

Rider10

by Rider10

XMF08TT work perfectly with Shimano cleats. I've got a bit over 10,000km offroad on mine. The bearings are still original and good. I am finding that they are gradually getting easier to release even with spring tension at its highest and new cleats. I think the non-replaceable Ti part of the body is wearing. This is sort of disappointing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com