Thm fibula

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

i use my THM fibs with Enve 3.4 SES wheels and they work well (have Enve brake pads). a few things that i don't really care about the fibs, is the large pivot cavity. tons of debris gets caught in there. i'm constantly cleaning it out. also, the pad holders really don't go with anything. i will swap with black anodized ones eventually. otherwise, they stop fine and have had no issues. and like others have noted, the EE Cycleworks brakes are great (on my other bike). i like the profile of them and with the newer styled cams, open up nicely for SES thick wheels.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

foyale

by foyale

Did you guys tried a wrap around itself with powercordz. I used to do that with my MTB, never had an issue with it. I do not have a fibula to try it out but from what I can see on the THM site, it is worth a try.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Can you give us a little more on what you mean by a "wrap around"

steff

by steff

I have puted powercordz with my fibulas but have done only one ride
no problem now but I will make wrap I think
French magazine 'TOP VELO' have ride during a year without problem

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I have 1st gen EE brakes with the updated bridge. They perform well in all conditions and the pad holders are great for their ease of use. Would you consider the THM Fibula's to be an overall(weight, looks, performance) upgrade over the 1st gen EE brakes? Just have the itch to spend some money, but would like to get some opinions from members on this board on whether it is worth it. Should I make the leap, or should I spend my money elsewhere.

I will say that the EE brakes are hideous to the point they kinda look cool. Cleaning them is not fun either, but they do perform like nothing else I've tried.

Thanks.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the stopping power of the ee's are better than the fibulas. the fibulas, however, are the best looking brakes out there and perform better than ax3000 in my opinion.

kode54

by kode54

Vuong05 wrote:I have 1st gen EE brakes with the updated bridge. They perform well in all conditions and the pad holders are great for their ease of use. Would you consider the THM Fibula's to be an overall(weight, looks, performance) upgrade over the 1st gen EE brakes? Just have the itch to spend some money, but would like to get some opinions from members on this board on whether it is worth it. Should I make the leap, or should I spend my money elsewhere.

I will say that the EE brakes are hideous to the point they kinda look cool. Cleaning them is not fun either, but they do perform like nothing else I've tried.

Thanks.

i have the 1st gen and 2nd gen EE brakes...and recently got the THM fibula. also upgraded the 1st gen with new bridges. not really worth it. if i were to do it again...i would get the latest 3rd gen EE brakes and be done with it. i feel more confident with the EE brakes and may eventually get the newest EE. dealing directly with Craig is great. he's very responsive and takes care of my 2 EE brake sets...upgrading and replacing a few parts. besides, cost is about half. with the new black anodizing...the latest EE brakes are quite nice. cleaning THM fibulas has its issues as well. large center cavity for catching alot of debris.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

mike wrote:the stopping power of the ee's are better than the fibulas. the fibulas, however, are the best looking brakes out there and perform better than ax3000 in my opinion.

totally agree. i feel secure with the EE braking power, then fibulas, then ax3000.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

corky

by corky

The problem with lightweight brakes in general is that they use inferior but lightweight materials for their springs, which should be made from sprung steel otherwise you can get
sticky brakes ie. slow to return. which leads to poor feel(for me)

I like to use yokozuma compressionless cables and first gen EE which has titanium springs, these cannot flex the the housing enough to allow a quick return especially at the rear brake.

I just basically went back to bog standard Campag brakes and swallowed the weight penalty for better function. The cleaning peed me off too, trying to get dried on worms off from behind the spring... the spring needs to be behind the caliper that would help cleaning no end.

I have no THM experience but do like the look of them.......

Just my experience/preference though..... other people may prefer the weight reduction.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Bumping this tread...to those who've successfully installed THM Fibulas with Powercordz, could you please elaborate on the retrofit required (on the cable locking screw) to get it to work? Would really like to get this combo to work (with Aican cable housing) for optimal weight savings.

Vallinotti

by Vallinotti

sedluk wrote:I will second the Powercordz question, anyone?

Could please someone response it?