Di2 RH Shifter rattle - 7970

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drmutley

by drmutley

Hi all,
I have 2 pairs of 7970 shifters and both vibrate and rattle on rough roads. I sent my first set back because of this and the new replacement does the same. Anyone else experience this or is it just me?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Never happened to me in 9 months, so far. Maybe there's a torque setting?
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

This is happening to me too- suddenly developed a couple of rides ago, very annoying!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Possibly the reach adjustment? Try screwing down the reach screw until it just starts moving the lever in.
Otherwise, look at the lever return spring. Possibly just vibrating, maybe some grease on it would quiet it down.

drmutley

by drmutley

thisisatest wrote:Possibly the reach adjustment? Try screwing down the reach screw until it just starts moving the lever in.
Otherwise, look at the lever return spring. Possibly just vibrating, maybe some grease on it would quiet it down.

Thanks...
Yes I thought about the reach adjustment and will have a play. All 3 levers have done it from new, out of the box, all on different bikes... Shimano Aust couldn't explain it on the first warranty return, so it mustn't be a common thing, guess I'm just unlucky :-)

drmutley

by drmutley

Not the reach adjustment unfortunately... Wish it was that easy...

Seems its the shifter/paddle and switch which is rattly... Strange I've had 3 sets of shifters, all with the same rattle... And not many others with the same experience...

jmorgan

by jmorgan

I have this issue with my 6700 ultegra, right lever is worse
2012 Cervelo S5 Team

Super_fast

by Super_fast

I have the same issues. The spring in the rear brake is not strong enough to keep the cable tight, when there is just a tiny amount of sand in the brake.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Ultegra 6700. Same issue, same side. I noticed it last weekend during a century ride on really rough roads. What I did notice is that the noise went away when I was on the hoods and gripping the inside, not merely resting my hands on it. Kind of annoying.

bigdog1

by bigdog1

I have read the comments about the RH ultegra DI2 shifter rattle. I have just started to notice a rattle after about 5000 miles on my Trek 5.9. Do we have any follow-up on what the cause may be? Tks...

tnc1970

by tnc1970

I have/had the same on my 9070 shifters. While I have no explanation (nor Shimano does), I solved it adding a drop of silicone sealant. Process looks like:
- Disconnect the shifter wire
- Press the noisy lever (buttons paddle) and put something that keeps it depressed.
- Add a drop of silicone sealant and let it cure overnight (make sure temperature is high enough per silicone specs)
- When dry, remove whatever you put to keep lever depressed.

The dried silicone will act as rubber seal/silencer and the paddle won't make any noise.

Not that I'm happy about a DIY solution for a bloody expensive system. For some reason I'd expect Shimano Di2 to work flawlessly and making noise is indeed a flaw.

Note: another poster suggested to add some grease to the internal spring. I considered this also and it makes a lot of sense. Just be prepared for take the shifter out the handlebar -not absolute requirement but recommended for better accessibility- and deal with torx5 screws and small pieces. And, please... do not lose any of those screws/small pieces ;)

kode54

by kode54

where did you place the silicone drop? in what location? both my levers rattle a bit when on rough roads...haven't pinpointed where though, since on the work stand, its difficult to track it down.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

tnc1970

by tnc1970

kode54 wrote:where did you place the silicone drop? in what location? both my levers rattle a bit when on rough roads...haven't pinpointed where though, since on the work stand, its difficult to track it down.

In my case, I put the silicone drop between the main paddle (upshift in the default setup) and the small one (downshift). Anyway, the key is to identify the moving/rattling part and use the silicone to build a small "bumper" so the moving part hits the silicone

tnc1970

by tnc1970

I'll try to take some pictures (no guarantee though)

drmutley

by drmutley

Both my 7970 RH shifters still rattle... Will try this fix...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com