The CAAD9 is dead... long live the CAAD10 - new photos

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

So, about 6 weeks ago I had a car do an illegal u-turn into a side street taking both myself and my riding partner out resulting in 15 stitches, concussion, a big hole in my left knee and a badly sprained right foot for myself and severe bruising, road rash and some cuts for my mate.

It also resulted in a dead CAAD9 (broken forks, bent and dented frame, broken right shifter, broken Rotundo LTD bars, cracked rims front and rear, only thing that survived unmarked was the seatpost, sten and rear brake...), and broken shifters and front wheel on my mates Super Six...

After several weeks of wrangling with the driver's insurance company (official complaint in the works) I finally picked up my CAAD10 Black Inc. last night.

A big change for me, moving from Campy Record 11 to Ultegra Di2 but there was a special going I couldn't refuse and though 'what the heck?', maiden voyage this morning and love it!(bike and gruppo) Very similar feel to the CAAD9... but different, maybe just the identical geometry playing its hand? Definitely feels a bit more responsive and direct.

I have been a bit blasphemous by fitting a Record seatpost and the top bearing out of my Record headset but had to have some Italian on there.

I am still undecided on the white stem and may do a strip/respray depending on my mood over the next few weeks. I do remember seeing a thread on here where someone had resprayed a Deda stem matte and applied a single gloss 'Deda' decal either side, classy. There is also a set of Hollowgram SLs winging their way from Cannondale Experts to replace the FSA cranks. Also some fleaBay special carbon bottle cages.

Oh, and the weight? 7.36 as it sits, Hollowgrams should drop almost 200 grams, I have ordered the standard 'Dale rings and will see how nicely they play with Di2 otherwise some Praxis rings will be ordered to replace them smartly.

Here is a teaser iPhone pic ahead of better pics with a camera this weekend and a pic of my CAAD9 after the accident. Pics of how the 9 used to look are in the thread in my signature.

Enjoy

CAAD10.jpg

CAAD9.jpg
Last edited by rouleur01 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bomber

by bomber

This thread deserves better pics :smartass:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

Vuong05

by Vuong05

The Caad 10's are the best aluminum bikes you can buy without going custom. Looks great and enjoy in good health.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

djconnel

by djconnel

How much less did the CAAD9 weigh?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Hey dj, CAAD9 ended up around 6.9 from memory depending on tyres/tubes, mostly due to wheels, bars and groupset.

With Hollowgrams and similar wheels but heavier bars and pedals I think then CAAD10 will be lighter. I am going to stick with alloy bars, the LTDs were nice but quite a lot flexier than the Pros, especially sprinting in the drops. I also had Keo Blade Tis which are about 100gms less than the Classics but these were what I had lying around to get me going.

I am considering building up some inexpensive and light alloy clinchers which will drop another 300gms or so off the weight, the Ultegra wheels are around the 1650 mark.

a.davis12

by a.davis12

noice. i've always been partial to caads.

that was my stem, steve at sun graphics down in victoria did it, was $140, so not cheap, but it looks good, so who cares:p

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Cheers a.davis12, I spent a bit of time yesterday trying to track down your post, having remembered seeing your stem. That is exactly what I am after!

I only paid $30 2nd hand for the stem so am just going to strip and respray myself and then get the decals made, I have made up a vector file of the Deda logo so just need to find somewhere not too expensive to do the decal for me.

Anyway, fun times ahead fettling and upgrading!

Build list for the interested...

Frame/Fork Cannondale CAAD10
Stem Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse
Bars 3T Rotundo Pro
Seatpost Campagnolo Record
Saddle Selle Italia SLR TT
Bottom Bracket FSA SL-K Light (Hollowgrams on order)
Crankset FSA SL-K Light (Hollowgrams on order)
F/derailleur Shimano Ultegra Di2
R/derailleur Shimano Ultegra Di2
Shifters Shimano Ultegra Di2
Brakeset Shimano Ultegra
Cassette Shimano Ultegra
Chain Shimano Ultegra
Pedals Look Keo Classic
Wheelset Shimano Ultegra
Skewers Aerozine Ti
Tyres Schwalbe Durano S
Tubes Scahwalbe
Cables Shimano Ultegra Di2
Bottle cages Custom carbon
Bar tape Fizik Superlight

So, basically a stock build with changed out contact points and skewers. Hollowgrams left Salt Lake City yesterday!

Quinn039

by Quinn039

those skewers, having looked them up now, look superb. have you run them previously and where did you get them through?

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Hey there Quinn039,

I got these from Toronto Cycles, ordered a few Ti and Al bolts at the same time, quick shipping and easy to deal with, their site has been unavailable for maintenance but is now back up.

They come in a good variety of colours too, I have no issues whatsoever, they were also one of the few survivors from the accident.

Hollowgrams are in Australia so should see them soon, am waiting for them to be installed before I take better pics.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

thanks for the information. Looking forward to the update!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Here are some better images for you all, a couple of changes have taken place, Hollowgrams have now been installed and I have swapped out the bars for Pro Vibe Alloy Rounds, Hollowgrams dropped some weight but I have since added bottle cages, Bar fly with Garmin and Cadence Sensor so weight has remained static at around 7.35kg, pretty happy with that considering the Ultegra wheels.

No real upgrades planned in the near future, may try to get a decent deal on some Keo Blades if I can, really liked the last set I had. Anyway, enjoy the pics!

IMG_5512.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg