Best Aero Bike Choice ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theloper

by theloper

Have been wanting to build a bike but was injured a few months ago putting it on hold. It will still be another few months or so before I will be able to ride normal. So its giving me extra time to think about my build. Since I live in south Florida my choices are all aero frames. Plan on building it up with DA 9000 and Zipp 404 firecrest clinchers. On my list are -

1). Scott Foil Team

2). Cervelo S5 / S5 VWD

3). BMC TMR01

4). Giant Propel

Opinions please...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Personally I wouldn't risk spending a ton of money on a bike with proprietary components, so that rules out the giant and bmc. The S5 is fugly. So the foil is the winner out of those four, although I've heard the ride is a bit harsh.

tobyinsydney
in the industry

by tobyinsydney

JackDaniels wrote:Personally I wouldn't risk spending a ton of money on a bike with proprietary components, so that rules out the giant and bmc. The S5 is fugly. So the foil is the winner out of those four, although I've heard the ride is a bit harsh.

BMC can be bought frame-only...

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I think he means integrated parts like the brakes...

Have an S-5vwd and I love it, but I would suggest riding them all and deciding based on that. The performance margin between any of those bikes is so small you should get the one that fits you the best and makes you feel like you look the best on. Look good feel good :beerchug:

drewb

by drewb

You can add Trek Madone (having come off a Foil which is a brutal ride), I love my 3 month old Trek - except for the bontrager brakes that I replaced with Dura-ace. Less of a go-kart type of ride, less tiring.

NGMN

by NGMN

I'd go Cervelo or Scott depending on the preference of fit and then weight v. aero.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

JackDaniels wrote:So the foil is the winner out of those four, although I've heard the ride is a bit harsh.

"Harsh" is such a subjective measure.

Bigger guys or those who race (I know owners of Foil's who fit either category) have no issues with it.

A lot depends on the OP, his intended uses and his size as to how harsh it might be.

Same applies for aesthetics.

TOflat

by TOflat

Storck Aeronario

bwdftp

by bwdftp

JackDaniels wrote:Personally I wouldn't risk spending a ton of money on a bike with proprietary components, so that rules out the giant and bmc. The S5 is fugly. So the foil is the winner out of those four, although I've heard the ride is a bit harsh.

I've got no issues with the harshness of my Foil. Ride it all day with no worries. But as is mentioned, there won't be much difference between any of them.

audiojan

by audiojan

Don't lose track of the fact that the rider accounts for the vast majority of the drag... make sure that you buy the bike that fits you the best, that will be the most aero.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

Canyon Aeroad

Geoff

by Geoff

Venge is nice, too...

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

The roads as so smooth here so the foils is not a bad option. Don't see to many around though.

Racers Edge in Boca has a couple TMR01s and they sure look awesome.

I just recently went aero going from a caad10 to a NeilPryde Alize.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

Litespeed C1R

Love mine and will stack it head to head against anything on that list.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

what about a BH G6? nice looking bike

http://bhbikes-us.com/bikes/detail/22

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com