Cutting carbon steerer tube

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Have you guys ever cut a carbon steerer tube? Do you just put it on a vise? Or bring it to a shop?

After you cut it, is it okay to use a starnut?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

There's a special tool for it to prevent the carbon threads from fraying. Let a shop do it or Order the appropriate tool

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I cut mine with a 32tpi or more hacksaw. Tape where you are going to cut to prevent fraying and use a guide to make it straight. Never use a starnut in a carbon tube, you must use an expander of some sort.

system787

by system787

I use a tungsten carbide grit blades to cut carbon. It works well and doesn't fray, and the blades are relatively cheap.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/USA-Tungsten-Carb ... m_sbs_hi_3 (not the one i have but similar)

bricky21

by bricky21

I've cut lots of carbon steerer tubes. I use the finest tooth hacksaw blade I can find at the local hardware store, and I use a park tool saw guide to help keep the cut straight. It's not ok to use a starnut. Use a Compression plug which usually comes with the fork.

I know some people use electric chop saws, but I have not actually seen it done nor do I know what type of blade is used. :(

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Sonny

by Sonny

If you cut the carbon tube by yourself -
- turn off the fan and close the windows around your cutting area.
- put some wet tissue under the cutting place of carbon tube to adsorb the carbon power.
- after cut the tube, use some wet tissue also to clean off the carbon power in/outside of the tube.
- finish !

Geoff

by Geoff

It is really no big deal, though I know it feels like it is.

Measure twice, cut once. Wrap the tube tightly with a bit of tape to prevent it from fraying. As others have advised, use the finest blade you can find. If it makes you feel better, you can use a cutting guide to ensure your cut I'd straight (you can also do it with a bench vise or freehand). Once you start to cut, use full strokes of the blade. Be careful, it will cut really fast. Only cut about halfway through, then complete the cut from the opposite side. Finish your cut with a fine file. I like to cut a very shallow bevel around the outside edge.

As others have noted, carbon dust is harmful to inhale. Do this outside if you can and wear a mask. If you push a rag down the steerer below where you will cut, then you will be able to pull it out after and you will not have carbon dust down the tube.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I cut A CF bash myself with a fine tooth jigsaw, used a dremel to deburr the surface, easy, no harder 9in fact easier) than ally.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

If it makes you feel better, you can use a cutting guide to ensure your cut I'd straight (you can also do it with a bench vise or freehand).

I made one from some headset spacers and duct tape, worked fine. You don't need anything fancy.

devinci

by devinci

you can also use one or two old stem with a spacer on top (or not) as a cutting guide

Dont want to highjack, but I need to cut my alloy steerer. How do I make sure I push the starnut furter inside the steerer to avoid cutting it while making sure it is still sitting straight in the steerer tube?

Geoff

by Geoff

That's easy. Get a large dowel. Measure the depth of the starnut by placing the dowel into the steerer. From the outside, measure where you need to drop the starnut and mark your dowel. Knock the starnut down with the dowel. If the dowel is similar in diameter to the steerer, it will go down nice and straight. Cut away!

devinci

by devinci

thanks Geoff

02GF74

by 02GF74

devinci wrote:Dont want to highjack, but I need to cut my alloy steerer.

you can use a pipe cutter on alloy steerer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com