Summer road tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

sawyer wrote:... or just 2x Force if you want 24mm volume are good options.

Or just use the GP24 which is essentially the same tyre with a different tread pattern (sorry, wear indicator... :wink: ) - I happen to know a few pro-conti teams use them on clinchers in the off-season.

sawyer

by sawyer

What's the actual weight on the GP24 biketart?

RCUK has them at 250g ... which a whole lot more than the c200g I've got various GP Forces

Perhaps they are more reinforced?

http://road.cc/content/review/6226-cont ... 0x24c-tyre
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Veloflex Corsa23 + Michelin Latex tubes. Closest thing you can get to tubulars without running tubulars.

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Pro4 no good?
Get busy living, or get busy dying

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

sawyer wrote:What's the actual weight on the GP24 biketart?

RCUK has them at 250g ... which a whole lot more than the c200g I've got various GP Forces

Perhaps they are more reinforced?

I stand corrected. They are bombproof so perhaps they do have extra reinforcement.

nspace

by nspace

I really like My Veloflex Corsa and Master's. Longevity isn't the best, at least in my experience, but you if you can find them at a decent price, its not bad. I've burned through 2 sets of them so far, and have another set of Corsa 23's which have been hidden away in a drawer for 6 months. Will put them on when the road grime clears away. Will be interesting to see how this "aging" works (although my aging was completely unintentional).

At the recommendation of a fellow WW, I bought a set of the Conti 4Season tires a couple days ago. So far I have about 190km's on them and they feel great too. The 25mm with is nice. Actually felt a lot smoother on certain road surfaces. Wish they found a way to get rid of the rubber flashing down the center of the tire tho.

Perhaps I am not all that perceptive. I don't noticed some sort of revolutionary night and day ride between these and my Veloflex tires (at least not the way people describe on here). Then again, I haven't been running my latex tubes due to all the shit on the road, so could also be why.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Cheers! wrote:Veloflex Corsa23 + Michelin Latex tubes. Closest thing you can get to tubulars without running tubulars.

Pleased to hear that. You really ought to try some Vredestein latex though.
Natural unpigmented latex, lighter and yet even better puncture resistant than Michelin or any other brand for that matter.
You won't find a pigmented latex inner tube inside a top end tubular and I suspect they know why too.

Perhaps I am not all that perceptive. I don't noticed some sort of revolutionary night and day ride between these and my Veloflex tires (at least not the way people describe on here). Then again, I haven't been running my latex tubes due to all the shit on the road, so could also be why.

Much depends on what kind of pressure you run your tyres.
If it's on the high side and the rider is not proportionally heavy then the differences tend to cancel out. All tyres tend to feel harsh when pumped up hard and left unloaded so to speak.
Of course a 25mm wide Continental tyre may seem more comfy at say 7 bar than a 23mm wide Veloflex at say 8.5 bar. The mere volume of air present in the wider tyre will dampen most of the shocks, the casing can deflect better due to its mere width.

Conversely, run the Contis at higher pressures and you're bound to notice the difference as the casing will no longer be able to absorb the road irregularities.
I'd very much doubt you'd notice or be able to measure any benefit of using a decent latex inner tube in a Conti tyre. Any Conti tyre.
You'll notice it straight away when used in a Veloflex or similarly flexible tyre though. Unless maybe you're running a richly padded saddle and shorts but still, it should be perceptible.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Where do you buy Vredestein tubes? I can't get the michelin latex tubes from UK mail order places. I haven't found a place to buy the Vredestein yet.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

These seem somewhat easier to come by in Europe than in the US.
Search the forum first, I know I have put various links to shops in here. Google is pretty good when asked the right questions....

I use them to repair my own shot tubulars so I need to keep some stock myself.

Bikeradar or Wiggle, perhaps?

They're hard to come by so stock up.

Cheers, ;)

P.S. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vredestein/latex-road-inner-tube-ec037173#features
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Hard to beat a seasoned (as in aged for six months) Veloflex tyre m

Ciao, ;)

You realize tires deteriorate with age, they don't "season"

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

These seem somewhat easier to come by in Europe than in the US.
Search the forum first, I know I have put various links to shops in here. Google is pretty good when asked the right questions....

I use them to repair my own shot tubulars so I need to keep some stock myself.

Bikeradar or Wiggle, perhaps?

They're hard to come by so stock up.

Cheers, ;)

P.S. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vredestein/latex-road-inner-tube-ec037173#features

The link you put there says not suitable for daily riding. How quickly do these lose air? Is it check daily, or every few hours while riding?
Get busy living, or get busy dying

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

bobqzzi wrote:

Hard to beat a seasoned (as in aged for six months) Veloflex tyre m

Ciao, ;)

You realize tires deteriorate with age, they don't "season"

I'll take this one with my best fdegrove impression.....

Surely YOU realize the difference between a vulcanized tire and a handmade tubular, or open tubular tire

Ciao, ;)

Getter

by Getter

LOL

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Latex tubes should be ok for daily riding, just I find I lose around 10psi a day in pressure minimum so am in the habit of pumping every time I ride.

Anybody know off hand what the weight on those Vredestein latex tubes is? Currently got Michelin ones which are about 90g each so not that light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Cheers! wrote:Veloflex Corsa23 + Michelin Latex tubes. Closest thing you can get to tubulars without running tubulars.

You hear this kind of statement a lot from people who don't ride / don't want to ride tubs (why else?) and it feels like a statement of hope over experience.

Yes, the suppleness of the Vlfex and latex tube will deform to effectively smooth out more road imperfections than the average Michelin with butyl tube

... but ...

The three main benefits for tubulars are not covered ...

1. Lighter rim
2. More progressive, fluid handling due to rounder cross-section of tyre
3. Inherently safer due to the tyre and tube being a closed system.

In fact, regarding (3) the latex + clincher prescription actually takes you further away from the real deal as it's more dangerous than a butyl tube.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: