My SUPERSIX project THAT BLEW my budget (update 6-10-15)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Yup! I love Rivercity! I just took a trip to San diego and went to several bike shops to waste some time and I was disappointed with every one of them when comparing them to Rivercity. They are so concentrated on Tri riding down there it was difficult to find a shop that focused on Road cycling. (BTW I'm not generalizing EVERY shop in Cali, just saying the ones i went to)

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

My ribble is on Ebay as we speak asI am picking up a SSix 105 and am going to use your build as inspiration. Will probably go 3T ergonova team as they suit me for bars and a UNO stem fo $20 at 100gm ( inspired by Prenfreu's Stoked build ) but can't wait to get it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

thank you for the kind words! I am excited to see your bike when all built up and finished!

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I have been testing some wheels over the past month and a half with a wheel builder. Been an amazing experience. Here are some of the wheels:

H plus son w.Chris king R45 hubs
Velocity A23 w.DT swiss 350 hubs
Enve 45 clincher w.Chris King R45 hubs

was scared of the color at first, but it worked well with the bike. besides, it was only to demo them.

Here is the wheel I will be ordering today (PS so i could get a better idea of what I was getting.)

HED C2 Clincher
CX Ray Sapim spokes (24/28)
chris king hubs (Most likely black)

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I had an amazing opportunity come up but I decided to pass. The enve 45 carbon clinchers I was demoing was offered to my by my wheel builder for a crazy low cost. Even though they have been amazing and i really wanted them, i decided to go with the HED belgium C2 with black Chris King, black super sapim bladed spokes, black nipples and veloplugs. Wheel should come in just under 1400g. I hope I dont regret not buying the enve wheels, but I only can afford 1 all purpose wheel for now. I have no doubt i will love my build.

this isn't my set, but this is what they will look like.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Got the wheels home. pick up new tires today and hope to get on a test ride!

HED belgium C2 rim
Black Chris king R45 hubs
Cx Ray sapim spokes 24/28 (Swapping them out for the new Super sapim bladed spokes when they come in next month)
black nipples
veloplugs

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I didn't feel SUPER stoked about the C2 wheel like I was hoping. I liked it and I think I could have gotten familiar with how it felt, but since jude told me that after 1 or 2 rides I could still bring them back and get the offer with the enve wheels if I was dissatisfied, I took advantage. When i got back from my ride to my LBS, I tlaked with a couple friends I have their which includes the owner and asst mangr. We went over each aspect of the wheel and how I felt about it. I came to the decision that i just had more fun on the enve wheels. They had that snappy feel that I was longing for on this ride and lets face it, I loved that enve wheel from the beginning. I'm glad i was able to test ride the C2 before buying the enve's because I would have always wondered what they felt like and if I would have been satisfied.

I'm stoked about the enve wheel, but part of me wishes I would have never ridden it. If I would have never ridden the enve's, the C2 wheel probably would have provided me with full stoke and 100% satisfaction, BUT thats not the case and my feelings were tainted. Call me a sell out, say I was baited or whatever else, at the end of the day I feel happy and excited.

Jude (My wheel builder) had told me since day 1 once we started talking about the C2 build that if I didn't like them, I could bring them back and pay the difference for the enve's. I hadn't felt bad about the thought of bringing them back until I did. After my ride I went straight up the road to her shop and brought the wheels in. When she saw me come in with the wheels she was like, "is this a good thing or a bad thing!?" We talked about my experience and asked her if the deal for the enve was still on the table. she said, "OF course!". I told her that Even though I wanted to go ahead and purchase the enve's I was feeling bad because the cost of the parts to build the C2 wheel along with the time she spent to do it. She told me to knock it off and that she wouldn't have offered something she didn't feel she could follow through on. She said she will have no problem selling this wheelset for 10% off. (So in case anyone is interested, you can contact her to go over details). She is going to give the enve wheels a once over and service everything, put on some valve extendeds and I will pick them up tomorrow and bring them to their new home! It was DEFINITELY more than I EVER anticipated spending, but I'm ok with it and have no doubt that I will have years of enjoyment.

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Sounds like you are having fun throughout this process. Bike's looking great.

MrHeng

by MrHeng

It looks fantastic ! How's the boyd 30mm wheels u have there?

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

Your bike with enve wheels....perfect match..

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

Btw, whats the weight now with enve? Must be low 6...damnnn

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

MrHeng wrote:It looks fantastic ! How's the boyd 30mm wheels u have there?

I sold the Boyd's to help pay for the enve. Totally worth it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

clxcolnago wrote:Btw, whats the weight now with enve? Must be low 6...damnnn

I wish it was lower but 15.4 lbs with the new enve's, pedals and Garmin.