Running ruined my cycling ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Megaclocker

by Megaclocker

What I did :
I've trained outside way more during winter this year. Been running close to 10hours a week outside.
I've also lost a bunch of weight in the process (a bit over 10 pounds). From 160 to 148lbs. I've had good race results with weight between 145-150lbs in the past.
I am now running better then ever.
Last year, I trained probably 5-6hours a week on the indoor trainer at best.

However, I recently went cycling for the first time of the year with friends that I often ride with and had trouble keeping up.
I also lost quite a bit of power going uphill compared to last year.
I am slower all around on the bike.

Any idea how to get the legs back in shape ?

metanoize

by metanoize

Lift weights, do intervals on the bike, I used to do quite a bit of duathlons, your body relearns.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aussiebullet

by Aussiebullet

Do you mean it was the first time riding this year or first time riding with friends?
If it was your first time on the bike this year then no surprizes you couldn't keep up.....
Marathon runners don't ride bikes to improve or maintain their running fitness and cyclists won't maintain let alone improve their cycling by running alone.
Want to get back to where you were? then do what you did to get there in the first place, IOW ride your bike.... A LOT,
if running is imortant to you then by all means keep running but your cycling will never be as good as it could otherwise be;
you have a choice to make,
be OK at both or much much better at one or the other.

Megaclocker

by Megaclocker

Aussiebullet wrote:Do you mean it was the first time riding this year or first time riding with friends?
If it was your first time on the bike this year then no surprizes you couldn't keep up.....
Marathon runners don't ride bikes to improve or maintain their running fitness and cyclists won't maintain let alone improve their cycling by running alone.
Want to get back to where you were? then do what you did to get there in the first place, IOW ride your bike.... A LOT,
if running is imortant to you then by all means keep running but your cycling will never be as good as it could otherwise be;
you have a choice to make,
be OK at both or much much better one or the other.

Running is not important at all for me. Just wanted a quick and ''fun'' way to lose weight during Canadian winter. (I enjoy running)

The 4months at Police School this autumn eating crappy cafeteria food hasn't helped.

Seems like hill repeats and extra cycling will do it.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its about getting the muscle memory back. They deploy different muscle groups, hence, it will affect your cycling if you haven't been on the bike for longer than previous years.

However, running is far more effective at enhancing your cardio fitness than cycling and you will feel the difference the running fitness brings when it comes to prolonged efforts in TT or uphill climbs. Likewise, the muscle memory from cycling also helps in developing muscular endurance for running.

They really are complimentary if the right balance is achieved. No point giving up either if you enjoy them both.

djconnel

by djconnel

I had exactly the same problem. First group ride I was dropped at first surge. Within 3 weeks I felt fantastic: finished 117 mile ride in a strong group (actually dropped them at end). Your body has most of the building blocks, it just needs to develop the specificity aspect, I figure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Don't panic! I have this problem a few times a year due to soccer and running. Your power is still there, you're just feeling limited due to muscle memory. I'm no physiologist, but after a week of riding, you should start feeling good on the bike again and dare I say, better in some aspects of it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Megaclocker

by Megaclocker

djconnel wrote:I had exactly the same problem. First group ride I was dropped at first surge. Within 3 weeks I felt fantastic: finished 117 mile ride in a strong group (actually dropped them at end). Your body has most of the building blocks, it just needs to develop the specificity aspect, I figure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Wow that's actually great news. Cycling season is just starting out here.

I'll get some serious time on the saddle and let you know how it goes.

boysa

by boysa

Based on my experience, I'd agree with what others have stated. In the winter, I usually end up running quite a bit because I do some overseas traveling and it takes me about 2-3 weeks of consistent riding to get my legs back on the bike. I usually find I feel tremendous with out-of-the-saddle efforts, but while seated my legs feel heavy and bulky. This isn't very surprising, of course, since my legs do bulk up noticeably whenever I do any significant amounts of running. It definitely keeps the cardio fitness intact, however, and it's just a matter of muscle specificity.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I did running as a primary exercise in winter (snowy climate). Starting in February I added a few hill repeats (8-10 x 2+2min) on a steep slope, like 15%. The transition back to cycling has never been so easy for me.

mrfish

by mrfish

+1 Replace running with bike rides and you will soon be back to normal. The weight loss and aerobic engine development will definitely help. I'd focus on power intervals plus time on the bike at low intensity to build up endurance, since running will have already developed your aerobic power

I did downhill skiing for the first time instead of touching my bike this winter (bad idea I know, but I needed a break after 20 years). Not quite as good as running as you spend half the time on the chairlift. But it was fun and new. Now back on the bike my legs are stronger, I'm heavier and the aerobic engine is not firing on all cylinders - kind of the opposite to your experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com