SiCCC rotors for road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xrs2

by xrs2

I installed Kettle's SiCCC rotors a few days ago on a cross bike (that I actually use as a winter road bike), and I'm happy to report that they work as well as the steel rotors I had before. Might be a good option for road disc.

I put a detailed review and pictures on my blog, but briefly make sure you follow the bed-in procedure properly! Without the bed-in procedure they only offer about 50% of the braking strength of a steel rotor, after the bed-in I got about 90%, and a few dozen miles after that they are indistinguishable from steel rotors.

I actually didn't buy the rotors because of the weight, I bought them in the hope that they'd reduce the screeching and chattering I'd get with steel rotors. They do: no squeaking, just a quiet sanding noise when I first apply the brakes. I wonder what's happening to my pads?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Thanks for the info on the rotors. Your blog has some beautiful pictures of the Catskills scenery!

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Keep us updated please, as I am considering these as well fir the road here.

What sizes did you get ?

xrs2

by xrs2

160/160. I put them on a Lynskey that I use as a winter bike.

I just got back from a longer (50 mile) ride with them, and they seem to be getting even better.

The "sanding" noise they make when braking is a little odd. I am concerned that I am going to go through brake pads quickly. I'll take the pads out and look at them after 200-300 miles.

xrs2

by xrs2

Oh, one thing I will say though is it is really nice not to have screaming brakes. No matter what I did the old BB7 stock rotors screeched like hell when they got wet. These are completely silent.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Pad wear will be interesting, but there is mo reason for it to be much different.

Do you notice any difference between cold/hot braking and dry/wet at all ?

xrs2

by xrs2

It has been wet and raining since the day I installed them, so I haven't been able to compare with dry conditions.

As far as hot/cold, I'm not sure how I'd test that efficiently. They work fine from the start of each ride though, and don't appear to get any better.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Any further updates xrs2 ?

Ritterview

by Ritterview

I ordered a 203 mm SiCCC rotor for my tandem, and it will probably ship this week. I look forward to putting it to the test on stopping power and heat management.

On MTBR forum, users think these don't have the stopping power of steel rotors. If I find that out as well, I'll just use them for special events like hill climbs.

xrs2

by xrs2

No, nothing of note. They are still working fine. No problems in the rain, no problems with big descents down mountainsides. I've pretty much forgotten they are there.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

xrs2 wrote:No, nothing of note. They are still working fine. No problems in the rain, no problems with big descents down mountainsides. I've pretty much forgotten they are there.

Now you start to get my interest!

Can you PM me some photos of your brakes?

What pads are you using?

I just looked at the link provided above. Uh, this sounds like a big no no no.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TALEO

by TALEO

my pads only lasted 120 miles on easy xc course

cwcheung

by cwcheung

Im a backer of SiCCC and they changed their name to sic-rotors

Here is mine. 2015 Speedvagen Road Disc with Shimano R785 Di2 + resin pad

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

What's the USP for these, high temperature performance or low weight?

ms6073

by ms6073

cwcheung wrote:Im a backer of SiCCC and they changed their name to sic-rotors

I also jumped on board during the original KickStarter project - whats that saying - 'fool me once, shame on me'? Really, I so wanted those rotors to work and gave Kettle the benefit of the doubt on multiple occasions. First was having to wait nearly 5-months past the promised shipping date for two sets of the 160mm, 6-bolt carbon rotors. Despite trying them in TRP Spyre mechanical as well as Shimano XTR hydros, for that first set of rotors, 3 of 4 were out of true, where thicker than the Ashima rotors they replaced. Worse yet, regardless of pads and bedding process, the rotors had next to no stopping power and screeched loud enough to wake the dead under the slightest amount of braking, wet or dry. The company re-tooled and offered two additional iterations, each promising more dramatic improvements in braking and even offered carbon pads. While most (myself included) found these additional iterations afforded improvements in braking, the squealing/screeching got worse, and while the rotors were lighter, braking was never near as good, nor as quiet or as with the Shimano IceTech rotors I now use. So while I think I binned them a month or so back, I probably have a stack of 8 of the 6-bolt, 160mm, carbon rotors in a box in the workshop!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com