New Sram Red Cassette ( XG1090)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Does anybody have any experience or reviews of the new Red Cassette? My Farsport CM38's arrived yesterday (final part of my build) and put the cassette on today. Whilst I was aware the old Red cassette was quite noisy, i was quite surprised how loud it was (taken along side the Pawl click of the ED hubs).

Now thinking i might switch to the new XG1090 ... but it is really expensive and dont want to risk it if it isnt that much better.

eric

by eric

I have one that I use on my Farsports/White Ind race wheels on my Sram bike. Shimano 7900 cassettes shift better and are quieter. But the XG1090 shifting and noise isn't that much worse.

You could take the Ed hub apart and lube the freehub pawls (with Krytox if you want to be fancy). The recent Bitex hubs I have gotten have been noisier than in the past and I think it's lube or lack of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boralb

by Boralb

XG1090 is by far the queitest cassette i have ever ridden.(specially with the sram 1091R chain)
Yes it's expensive but it is also crazy light, although eight of the cogs are made of steel!

eric

by eric

I use KMC chains, which may affect how quiet the cassette is.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Xg1090+kmcx10sl here. Not noisy at all, shifts well and pretty damn light.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thanks guys; am using a kmc chain, so that should help. May try the lube tho on the freehub. May bite the bullet in the xg ....

VTBike

by VTBike

I have the Xg-1090 and dura ace 7800. D/A wins for being quieter and better shifting. My XG is the 12-28 (or 27, I forgot!) and the D/A is 12-25. The D/A is only a few grams heavier, but of course, doesn't have that bigger ring.

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't have the XG but with my 1090 the KMC chain is a lot louder than my 1091 chain (close to inaudible).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com