HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 pm 

anyone with a positive or negative experience with alibaba.com.........offering "pinarello" TT frame/fork for about $900

txs

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm 

I would rather trust my money on velobuild.com. They have a few TT frames that look quite good for the money

Strava

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:53 am 

Alibaba is an online marketplace. What you have to be careful of is dealing with shady vendors. I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones, but I wouldn't say that all vendors on there are bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 am 

what a strange choice (of appropriate name) alibaba .......... and the 40 thieves , it has a worse reputation for scams than western union !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 pm 

latman wrote:
what a strange choice (of appropriate name) alibaba .......... and the 40 thieves , it has a worse reputation for scams than western union !

completely disagree. beside ali baba who is the poor guy in the story and has nothing to do with the thieves :mrgreen:
I have purchased several parts from alibaba as well as from aliexpress (their sister company) and everything went all right.
On alibaba you can use their escrow service and the money will be paid to the seller after you confirm receipt of the goods
and on aliexpress you pay with your CC and funds are getting to the seller again after your confirmation of receipt.
Never use WU or Bank TT transfer.
For me both mentioned sites are as safe as eBay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm 

latman wrote:

Alibaba used to be a website for traders only, but then it turned out in what's today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

Please do NOT buy it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:44 pm 

I'm a Chinese guy, and I living now in Germany. My friend own a Specialized Shop in Nanjing in China, and I used to ride with Chenyuan Ren, who is the 2007 worldchampion. I know so much abort the Chinese bike-industy. However, it's not easy to tell the complete story. Shortly to say, just do NOT buy such a thing in Chinese website, NOT ONLY alibaba!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 pm 

Of course, there are countless good web-shop, but you foreigners will never know. Because you don't read Chinese, what't more, you know nothing about our culture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm 

When you want to buy something, why don't you just go this easier and safer way:
just visit the official website, and find a official retailer.
You pay more to buy a true and original bike, and your LIFE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:24 pm 

The chinese frames are not copies of "real" frames.... they are their own designs. Possibly with the exception of Chinarellos, but I have not examined them closely.

I suppose there could be junk out there but the stuff I have bought has been pretty good to excellent quality. I have bought directly from a "manufacturer" (which is actually a first level wholesale/retail outfit), from the same type of outfit but through a group buy coordinator (Velobuild), and from a US company that imports and warranties parts from China.

All purchases have gone well. Of course you should do your reasearch on the firm before sending money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 am 

eric wrote:
The chinese frames are not copies of "real" frames.... they are their own designs. Possibly with the exception of Chinarellos, but I have not examined them closely .

A friend of mine bought a fake "Time RXRS " and his sister a fake "cervelo S5 " both arrived (thats always good) with "costelo" headsets .....

http://cyclingyong.en.made-in-china.com ... Frame.html

they have no design ideas of their own , only copying skills IMO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm 

There are blatant ripoff frames (which are NOT recommended) and then there are open mold frames the likes of which are sold through velobuild / hongfu/dengfu/flyxii/etc. Those have proven more or less through mass anecdotal evidence to be quite sturdy and are their own designs, albeit inspired by brand-name bikes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 pm 

sorry, didnt mean to start an international war of words. it's just when you see the same pinarello graal tt frame at 10c on the dollar, you have to ask is it real. i think i will just buy a stradalli tt frame, but i will never pay the outrageous prices that the major bike manufactures are asking.......especially when their getting the frame from the exact place the alibaba.com suppliers are. hopefully in 3-5 years people will have completely stopped paying $5-8k for a tt frame which should be $1-2k.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm 

It's all good :) It's obviously not going to be real, those prices undercut dealer pricing so I really doubt they'll be real. I'm not a big fan of those chinese clones either. But from what i've heard the fm066sl and fm098 are some pretty slick rides...

not paying outrageous markups is why I love team sponsorships ;)

Go to page 1, 2  Next