Shimano DA 9000 C-24CL vs 2013 HED Ardennes FR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ScottBiking

by ScottBiking

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is a repost. I am looking for information specifically about wheelsets mentioned above. First, my average wt is about 165 lbs.. I do not race and normally rides on rollinghills, flat and breezy coastal roads, and some long hills (cat 2/3) maybe a cat 1 and HC in the future. I am currently using a 2012 HED Jet 4, tip the scale at 1680 with QR and Rim Tape. So Im looking for a low profile wheelset for my hilly and long climbs rides, and have these two in sight. Does anybody have any weight information of both RIMS. Shimano claims they made the weight saving through lighter rims but no data available about rim weight, nor the Ardennes FR as well. Is my concern about the rim weight unecessary for the quality of both products? Or the difference in rim weight negligible during the ride? Or better yet, will I see a big improvement from JET 4 with either of these wheelset? Thanks for the feedback. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marwin3000
Shop Wrench

by Marwin3000

I just got a pair of DA 9000 C24's last week. Without QR's and rim tape(with Veloplugs) they landed at 1399g!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Marwin, do you have the means to measure the out and inner rim width?

system787

by system787

I remember flipping through the dealer catalogue and reading that the C24 rims weigh about 360 grams each. For a shallow profile hybrid aluminum/carbon rim, it sounds like a nice solid weight.

spytech

by spytech

system787 wrote:I remember flipping through the dealer catalogue and reading that the C24 rims weigh about 360 grams each. For a shallow profile hybrid aluminum/carbon rim, it sounds like a nice solid weight.

C24 rims are suppose to weight 375-85g. the wheelset is suppose to weigh 1375, though 1399 is the lightest ive seen/heard so far (usually around 1420g). so they have been missing their quoted weight.

how about the Ardennes+ with the wider 25mm rim? wont be shipping for another month though.

Marwin3000
Shop Wrench

by Marwin3000

btompkins0112 wrote:Marwin, do you have the means to measure the out and inner rim width?

No, sorry! I don't have the tools to get it accurate!

juanacity

by juanacity

To the OP-IMO I would go with the Shimanos as that is what I have experience with and think they are probably nicer in every respect (especially the hubs) with the exception of the increased rim width on the HEDs. As spytech said, the Shimano rims are supposed to be around 375 grams. I'm sure the HEDs are nice though too.

btompkins-despite what I have read elsewhere on the web, a Shimano rep told me the 9000 C24CL rim is the exact same rim Shimano has been using for a couple years now. That puts the outer rim width at 20.8 mm, but I can't recall what the inner width is supposed to be.

ScottBiking

by ScottBiking

Thank you all for the responses. I'm still undecided but leaning towards more on the C24 due to weight saving on the rims, very good review about the DA hub, and 11speed but reverse compatible to 10 speed. I would like to consider the DA 7900 c24 but I like the ride of wider rims from my HED Jet4 so that kind of ruined the idea. Anyways, if ever i pull the plug and buy any of them, I will sure take some measurements. Ride safe.

PS: to Juanacity - I believe the 9000 c24 rim widths comes in as F23mm and R24mm, at least from what i've read.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Tech data: http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/wheels/road_wheels/product.-code-WH-9000-C24-CL.-type-.wh_road.html

The 9000s are the same width as the 7900 (21mm), but did get a little deeper. I really like the 7900-24, have ridden the tubeless version for about 18 months.

juanacity

by juanacity

Hey Scott,

I read the same things so that is why I actually asked someone directly from Shimano. The tech docs seem to confirm that it is the exact same rim they have used for years; width and depth. Definitely don't order those wheels if you're expecting a wide rim unless you have confirmed it in your own hands.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... type-.html

On a related note-Shimano does an incredibly HORRIBLE job of marketing/communicating specifics of their products to the public. They have some of the best tech blow-up illustrations etc., but they can't release simple, concise information in the form of news releases like ZIPP and others do. The Shimano people I have spoken to say their new wheels with wider profiles etc. outperform everything else according to actual wind tunnel testing. I don't have any idea if this is true, but they certainly haven't done anything to make this info available or even make the claims to the general public.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

The C35 and C50 have wider 23 mm rims. C24 is listed as 20.8 mm. I'm considering the C35s....

giro di lento

by giro di lento

@Bigger Gear - I have a Shimano brochure here in front of me and it's only the C50 that has a 23mm rim. The C35 is still only 20.8 like the C24 (and many of the cheaper Shimano wheels). The C50 clincher is also the only model with the new aero rim shape (D2) - the C35 doesn't have that either but it is about 170gms lighter (per pair) than the C50. To me the C50 is the stand out wheel, but it's still heavier than I'd like at about 1670gms a pair. Considering the discounts you can usually find on Shimano wheels, I think it's an interesting proposition - but that's just me.

Cheers
GdL
My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ScottBiking

by ScottBiking

I was able to eyeball a DA9000 c35 from an LBS. The C35 doesn't appear to have wider rims like some of you reported. Unlike my HED Jet, you can see how wider it is as soon as you open the box... so I "might" be leaning towards Ardennes FR.