Powertap G3 Shimano > Campy 11 conversion trouble

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

helios

by helios

Despite what Cycleops says I'm have trouble converting. I have the stock G3 alloy wheelset that came with a Shimano 10 freehub, bought the appropriate freehub body and installed it. The back of the cassette rubs on the spokes, once installed on the bike and the quick release closed the wheel won't freewheel. What are my options here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

12x23

by 12x23

When you swapped the freehub body did you remove the end cap from the Shimano freehub body you removed and replace it on the Campy freehub body? If you didn't you've created an expensive fixed gear hub. Easy to fix, just check the Shimano freehub body for the end cap, pop it out, place it on the end of the Campy, and you're good.

(Learned this from my own experience once when changing freehub bodies from Shim to Camp and forgot to move the end cap over by mistake).

I've just recently started using one of my Powertap wheelsets with a Campy 11sp. I did have to adjust the upper limit on the r.der. to prevent it pinging the spokes - just a smidge - and not sure if the rear was just off a bit or there's a bit of mismatch between the Powertap and Campy hubs/freehubs. Just an FWIW.

Another reason I like the Powertap so well; I can pop freehub bodies off, changing to one's with different gearing within a group brand, or from Shimano to Campy back/forth, quicker than the time it takes to remove and replace the rear skewer. :thumbup:

helios

by helios

Yeah I moved the end cap to the new freehub. I called Wheelbuilder.com and they suggested the use of shims on the axle to move it out a little. Also saw a thread saying fat spokes may be the culprit and relacing with something skinnier may help? Guys who build wheels - any special concessions made for a G3 to run Campy 11?
Last edited by helios on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I run g3 campy and don't have any issues, but mine came that way and haven't fiddled with a free hub swap...yet. I'll probably have to do so in the next short while as I'll build something up with Shimano soon (10sp).

I do have a slight issue with keeping my chain in the 29 (need to fiddle w the limit adjust me thinks). Big climbs + early season legs = need for the 29.

helios

by helios

Ultyguy - is it the G3 wheelset built by Cycleops? If so, which rim and spokes were used? I have the most current one with Wheelsmith straight spokes and a Sun rim.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yes, built by cycleops, velocity a23 rim not sure on the spokes but they're round and plain gauge it looks?

Unbelievably, was a half hour into my planned 3 hour ride yesterday and guess what, what happened to you happened to me! Speak of the devil. I also think my locking somehow loosened up a bit too which might have contributed. Don't have my tools with me so will have to take the cassette off and take a closer look on Monday night . :-(

Must've been turning 400+ watts and it was grinding around showing 100.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok. I now remember that I had to loosen the locking ever so slightly in order to get the frehub to freewheel. So about 300km later, it came off via the threads on the locking getting sheared off :-( so I tried to put on a new locking today but am back at square one as when tightening it, it locked up the frehub again. Ideas?

helios

by helios

UPDATE: I called Wheelbuilder.com since they're a service center and I found this problem after Saris business hours on Friday night. The guy I spoke to at WB said they'd seen this before and have therefore fabricated some shims that fit behind the axle spacer to remedy it. Each shim is VERY thin, on the order of a couple thousandths, and effectively make the axle shim ever so slightly longer. They sent me 5 but said they'd never needed more than ~3 to fix the issue; it took exactly 3 shims to get the clearance I needed and now the wheel functions properly. The guy I spoke to (I can't remember his name to save my life) also said there is slight variation in the freehubs, so another Powertap Campy freehub may go on and function properly from the get-go, but the shims were a much more economical route for me instead of buying another freehub and gambling that it would work.

Anyway, MAJOR kudos to Wheelbuilder.com for fabricating these in the first place and then mailing them to me so quickly (I called Friday with the problem and got them in the mail today).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Wow, lost track of this and just saw it, great stuff and will give them a shout.
Thanks!