Hutchinson tubeless Fusion 3 crap or am I unlucky?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tenacean

by tenacean

Mine did the same thing...this is a Fusion 3 tubeless issue but can be solved with sealant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edmundo

by edmundo

Sorry to hear you had the same problem. However your fix doesn't do it for me as I don't want to use sealant. The tyre works very well on a tubless rim without sealant when it's not a dud. For me, the answer is for Hutchinson to stop making Fusion 3s that leak.
My replacement Fusion 3 - after two months use - is faultless.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

bikedoc

by bikedoc

ive seen load of Tubeless tires that leak through the tires itself not from around the bead, some worse than others. Hutchinson most know the problem as i reckon about 60% of them do to some degree

hotshod

by hotshod

kulivontot wrote:
edmundo wrote:What I don't know is: has Hutchinson fixed the problem, or they will continue to produce some good and some dud Fusion 3s?

Considering no one has heard of anything even remotely close to what you're describing, hutchinson included, I don't think anyone is really in a position to tell you whether or not this is a bad batch or just an isolated incident. I'm glad that the new ones don't leak, but if you still don't trust the brand/model, try another option.

I have a new Fusion 3 that leaks 100psi in one hour ..... All thru the sidewall, rim seal is perfect. It mostly leaks from one side along the molding band that sits about 4mm above the rim.
I appreciate I could probably cure this with sealant , BUT let's face it any tubeless tyre that can't stay up for an hour is a dud.
My previous Hutch F 3 are perfect ,they loose about 5 psi per week and I love them.....

I'm going to try and return it , but i live in OZ and bought it online from France ...... my bummer

hotshod in OZ
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

petromyzon

by petromyzon

If you really hate the idea of using sealant permanently you can run a tiny amount for the first few rides then wash it out to leave a much more airtight tyre. I've had a Fusion 2 and an Intensive that leaked through the tyre, not at the bead (coat outside with soapy water to visualise this), sorted after a few rides squishing the liquid latex in to the tiny pores.

Have to say my opinion is one of frustration - people obsessed with airtightness are causing the tubeless manufacturers to laminate thick butyl layers to the inside of the tyre. This is what is making them much heavier and much slower than leading non-tubeless tyres!

edmundo

by edmundo

hotshod wrote:I'm going to try and return it , but i live in OZ and bought it online from France ...... my bummer
A year on and my replacement tyre is still airtight. But in your position I'd be tempted to use petromyzon's solution above. It's disappointing this is still happening, I read somewhere (marketing spiel warning?) that Hutchinson were now mounting each tyre and testing them under water!
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

blantonator

by blantonator

My atoms leaked 10 psi a day, when I added stan's it's closer to 10 psi a week. Half a scoop should be enough and doesn't weigh much!

hotshod

by hotshod

I know the Hutch Fusion 3 can be fantastic tires , the pair I mounted in Feb'12, have never had a flat in 2,900klms and only loose between 5-10 psi per week .

So you can imagine my disappointment when I bought another that will loose all its air in less than 1 hour , from 100psi to zero thru the sidewall..... all of it thru the sidewall , bead seal is great but sidewall is porous.

Greg in OZ
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I have sold and installed tons of the Fushion and not had anyone come back to say they are leaking??

What about build up and debris on the rim from a previous install. Often when we have MTB tires losing air all it takes is a good cleaning of the rim and some Stan's
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They have obviously got some work still to do.

hotshod

by hotshod

cwdzoot wrote:I have sold and installed tons of the Fushion and not had anyone come back to say they are leaking??

What about build up and debris on the rim from a previous install. Often when we have MTB tires losing air all it takes is a good cleaning of the rim and some Stan's

This was with a brand new rim...!!!!

DID NOT LEAK from rim/bead interface

LEAK was totally thru the sidewall just above the line on the tyre that follows the rim... ie 2-3 mm above rim

fatmike

by fatmike

I run them with sealant from the start.

I use them with (relatively) low pressure as an off-season only training tire. And, they are fantastic.

Once you get them mounted up, I might go a week without adding air.

They are heavy. Adding a little sealant makes them a little heavier. It is what it is.

/

gslaw2995

by gslaw2995

Ive had exactly the same problem, had about 8 tyres from Wiggle over the time I've been using tubeless, its an absolute pain in the arse, and a bit of a lottery if you get good 'sealing' tyres, just had two Hutchinson Intensive do the same thing.
Shame because the Tubeless set-up when working is fantastic, I love them.
Hoping that Schwalbe get their act together when they release the ZX Ultremos, supposed to be this year sometime, been waiting for months for these to actually appear on the market.

Geoff

by Geoff

I am not yet among the 'way-honed' for tubeless. I am running a test this season on Tubeless, but I have had a lot of problems with the Hutchinson tubeless tires. I think, howver, I may have found the solution: http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb/ro ... d-tubeless

I have never been a fan of Specialized, but I have a set of these as testers on a set of Shamals and they seem to be the answer. I am pulling the Hutchinsons off my Dura Ace wheels this weekend and will run the Specialized on them, too.

rrkite99

by rrkite99

I have been using Fusion 3 for the last 3 years on Shimano DA rims ( and have gone thru several sets). Was hoping the new 25 intensive would be a better rear tire but I sure don't see a size difference to the front 23. Hard to mount when new and the rear with out Stan's did not hold air too well. With Stan's good riding and grip but not quite as long lasting as say Conti 4000s but ride better. I do pump my tires pretty much every ride but that is just because I want to know the state of the air pressure before setting off.From reading all the replies it seems experiences are all over the map. At some point I guess you need to decide whether you have some bad tires or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com