Sram XX1 - Power measuring options?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

knutte18

by knutte18

Drappo wrote:The rotor power meter crank?
Alhoa

Sure, just that it doesn't support the XX1-specific offset BCD at 76mm. But maybe you know something i don't? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheeladdict

by wheeladdict

Mattias writes:
I just got two orders on hollwgram spiders that are for these XX1 rings.
Will be out soon, as I finish other projects.

Any update from somebody who ordered this spider from Mattias? I assume the idea is to get an Hollowgram crankset, order a left Hollowgram crankarm with power from Stages Cycling, order the custom spider from Mattias and use an XX1 chainring of choice. Going to be a pretty expensive setup in the end, but should work really well.

Mattias, perhaps you should try to partner with Stages Cycling on this. I'm sure they would sell more Hollowgram left crank arm powermeters, and you would get a lot of Hollogram/XX1 spider orders.

knutte18

by knutte18

wheeladdict wrote:Mattias writes:
I just got two orders on hollwgram spiders that are for these XX1 rings.
Will be out soon, as I finish other projects.

Any update from somebody who ordered this spider from Mattias? I assume the idea is to get an Hollowgram crankset, order a left Hollowgram crankarm with power from Stages Cycling, order the custom spider from Mattias and use an XX1 chainring of choice. Going to be a pretty expensive setup in the end, but should work really well.

Mattias, perhaps you should try to partner with Stages Cycling on this. I'm sure they would sell more Hollowgram left crank arm powermeters, and you would get a lot of Hollogram/XX1 spider orders.

Don't know about Mattias spider, but you could get a XX1-Hollowgram spider from Leonardi Racing directly or at R2-Bike right now. :thumbup:

wheeladdict

by wheeladdict

knutte18 wrote:Don't know about Mattias spider, but you could get a XX1-Hollowgram spider from Leonardi Racing directly or at R2-Bike right now. :thumbup:

Yes, I found that after I posted. Looks like a perfect solution. Is that the option you ended up going with for XX1 Power? I haven't scene a single review of the Stages Cycling power meters yet.

knutte18

by knutte18

wheeladdict wrote:Yes, I found that after I posted. Looks like a perfect solution. Is that the option you ended up going with for XX1 Power? I haven't scene a single review of the Stages Cycling power meters yet.

My status is that i am "on hold" now and waiting for what the market will offer. I will start with the original XX1-crank and see what happens. But i think it would be a very nice, but also expensive upgrade, to go for the Stages powermeter with the Hollowgram cranks. Hopefully Stages pm works as it should. It has just been released for sale. I read that the Scott 3rox Racing team (Geoff Kabush) will be sponsored by Stages. So it will be interesting to see if they will race with Stages and perhaps also XX1. The major problem for me right now is that Stages will only be available in the US & Canada at first and i live in Sweden in Europe. "Unfortunately, we cannot ship to those outside of the US and Canada at this time. As a new company, and US based manufacturer, we've made the decision to only sell to North America until we're comfortable growing to support the demand and product outside of that area. We want to ensure we can support our customers in the highest quality manner and we cannot do this until we have our systems in place in other countries."

But who knows what happens during the year. I've also seen lots of pro's switching to XX1 this year, so i hope that will help "pushing" the development of more options as well.

I've used the Power2Max power meter for two years now on my roadbike. It only had one fault. It drifted with temperature. But after the software upgrade last autumn it has been rock solid. So i'm hoping that they will make one too. Not to expensive and very easy to use. Not as light as Stages, but not as heavy as a PowerTap hub either. My spiders weight is 223 grams and the original Rotor spider is 48. So 175 grams extra is not too bad. But Stages is only around 20 grams.

wheeladdict

by wheeladdict

I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach as well. I didn't realize how expensive Hollwgram cranks are, so this is a pretty expensive option to "experiment" with. XX1 cranks are more affordable, so I'll start with that and wait to see what else develops. I wish I new that Shimano was going to do a version of XX1 this year, but haven't heard any rumours.

Still, nice to know that there are viable options for XX1 power right now if needed.

knutte18

by knutte18

wheeladdict wrote:I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach as well. I didn't realize how expensive Hollwgram cranks are, so this is a pretty expensive option to "experiment" with. XX1 cranks are more affordable, so I'll start with that and wait to see what else develops. I wish I new that Shimano was going to do a version of XX1 this year, but haven't heard any rumours.

Still, nice to know that there are viable options for XX1 power right now if needed.

If you live so you could buy a Stages meter, then you have one or two more choices. You could run the X9 left crank from Stages with the rest of the XX1-crank. Will look a bit ugly i think. :lol: Or you could run the X9-crank with the original XX1-spider. But i am not 100% sure that it is compatible. I've read that XX and X0 is compatible with XX1, at least as long as you stick to the same bottombracket version of the crank. Would be a lot cheaper than Hollowgram$$$$. But you won't get so many Weight Weenies points. :D

wheeladdict

by wheeladdict

knutte18 wrote:If you live so you could buy a Stages meter, then you have one or two more choices. You could run the X9 left crank from Stages with the rest of the XX1-crank. Will look a bit ugly i think. :lol: Or you could run the X9-crank with the original XX1-spider. But i am not 100% sure that it is compatible. I've read that XX and X0 is compatible with XX1, at least as long as you stick to the same bottombracket version. Would be a lot cheaper than Hollowgram$$$$. But you won't get so many Weight Weenies points. :D

I'm not too much of a bike-fashion snob, but the XX1 with left X9 crank arm work would look so bad! Also, it's possible there would be a difference in stiffness and/or q-factor between the right XX1 arm and left X9 arm. I would rather save up for the Hollowgram / XX1 option if I decide to go with Stages. I imagine that if Stages Power work as advertised, then they'll get some international distibutors within a year. Looks like they are scramling to fill their US orders as it is. They said they will be shipping in January, but I haven't seen a single post anywhere of somebody using one, so my guess is that they still haven't shipped anything.

MartinMTB

by MartinMTB

Hi guys!

I have developed a prototype for a spider to combine the Power2max MTB power meter with XX1 chainrings. The unit is under production as we speak, and I will post images of the finished proto on my blog. For more info see link below

http://www.martinhaugo.com/?p=2451

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Exciting to see! it will turn out well I think and I may buy Power2max as my primary powermeter later.
Experimental Prototype

boots2000

by boots2000

Is the power2max currently SRAM XX bolt pattern? 80/120?
Will this adaptor work with other 80/120 powermeter cranks like a SRAM or Rotor SRM?

MartinMTB wrote:Hi guys!

I have developed a prototype for a spider to combine the Power2max MTB power meter with XX1 chainrings. The unit is under production as we speak, and I will post images of the finished proto on my blog. For more info see link below

http://www.martinhaugo.com/?p=2451

tcsbutton

by tcsbutton

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Hard to see in the last pic, the SRAM spline pattern is the same in all cranks which have removable spiders?
If yes so no problem to use Power2Max with a SRAM S900 which shares the same spline pattern all over the crank line I think.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That's what I think (hope).

XX1: http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... ails05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
X0/S2210: http://bikemarkt-images.mtb-news.net/6/ ... 57.JPG.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to get an XX1 spider (for use on my S2210), to go 1x10 in some races. When they become available.... CWSP005 I think.