New here! Cervelo R3 looking for suggestions for a diet.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

So I bought the bike complete and swapped out only a handful of things. I thought I was happy at a hair over 16lbs, but now that I lurk here so much more, it's beginning to feel like an anchor. Any tips of shedding some more weight? I know the wheels are the obvious thing, but I'd have to save a few more dollars for a lighter set.

It's a stock R3/Dura Ace so I'll only list the parts I swapped.

Wheelset: Profile Design Altair 52 - 1698g
Tires/tubes: Gatorskin Folding with light weight tubes - 600g
Stem: Deda Quattro 110mm - 164g
Seatpost: Syntace P6 Carbon - 188g
Saddle: Selle Italia gel flow SLR - 218g
Pedals: Look Keo - 244g
eBay carbon cages (pair) - 38g

I even shaved the extra cable housing and removed some of the superfluous bartape. I'm beginning to feel a little ocd!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Tires, tubes and brakes.....crankset too. The already mentioned wheels are the biggest opportunity.

Nice looking ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

btompkins0112 wrote:Tires, tubes and brakes.....crankset too. The already mentioned wheels are the biggest opportunity.

Nice looking ride!

thanks...I thought long about it before buying the gatorskins. The route to my normal ride is filled with all kinds of ugly puncture-inducing stuff. As for the wheels, I might put these on my wife's bike and go with a smaller 38mm set now. I'm just terrified of going tubular as I find myself superb at locating and running over glass so I often carry a spare tube/patches and cartridges in my jersey. :(

I actually never thought about the brakes, and never took them off to weigh. Any suggestions?

plpete

by plpete

KNC chain will help drop some grams. There are also lighter pedal options out there too. Skewers can be porky and can be replaced with some lightweight ones.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

As far as brakes you could save 100+ grams going Zero Gravity, KCNC or Planet X. Planet X would be the cheapest route at $125/pair.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Possibly the cheapest grammes I have saved on my bikes are Titanium / carbon wheel skewers. I got mine from Planet X, but think they are pretty generic. Weigh about 44g and cost about £15.

Beyond that, would repeat what has been said already (cranks and wheels).

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Stem: Deda Quattro 110mm - 164g - Get an Extralite OC stem about 87 grams in your length
Seatpost: Syntace P6 Carbon - 188g- this is a unique post diameter; correct?
Saddle: Selle Italia gel flow SLR - 218g - Buy a used Toupe 143 off EBay and strip off the padding and sand the saddle add some clearcoat and there you have a 90 gram saddle for cheap or might be able to find one already done on EBay (I only suggest this because it has a cutout like your current saddle and costs less than an AX)

Change the quick releases to some Tune or something else from Fairwheel Bikes or any number of other retailers.

Change your cables to Alligator i-link

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

awesome, thanks all for the suggestions! I'll swap the chain first, then go with the cables, skewers and brakes. I will do some more homework on the saddle. Damorider, the seatpost is a 27.2, but now that I think about it, 188g seems a little low, so I'll have to reweigh to be sure.

NGMN

by NGMN

I think chain, cables, skewers and brakes is a very good start. I'd try other things before changing saddles, like tires, stem, or wheels. Contact points are just very individual, I'd look at changing those last.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You could swap the seatpost for a 6k cycles off eBay that weight about 100g for 99 bucks. I think someone wrote a review on the site if you search.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Silly question, but the planet x CNC'd calipers and the KMC chain would perform as well as the stock Dura Ace right? just lighter?

http://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/b ... 1&CartID=2
http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.asp?p ... 2&ssid=589

Also, the frame is 54cm - am I able to get to under 14lbs with basic bolt-ons or is it a lost cause?

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

Also, I was thinking about getting a bit lower. The saddle is raised to its max, so am I able to replace the conical-shaped cane creek "spacer" right underneath the stem with a shorter one?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yes, check out veloflyte for a carbon top cap

http://veloflyte.com/

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

btompkins0112 wrote:Yes, check out veloflyte for a carbon top cap

http://veloflyte.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wait, I didn't mean the top cap, but rather the thing underneath the stem. Is it called a dust cover? I have no idea!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, I meant bearing cover.....veloflyte has those.