If you could only have one bike...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

and money was no object, what would you build? I need some ideas on parts- I thought I was all set before finding this forum, but I'm thoroughly convinced now that my 16lb R3 is just too heavy. :(

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Crumpton SL, Super Record 11, Lightweight Ventoux.....done.

If it makes you feel better my 6.7kg Fuji is too heavy as well...... :welcome: to the club!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

If I could only have one bike it would most definitely have to be a cyclocross rig. I need space and the option to have or not have fenders, a range of tires from 23mm to 35mm. Something I could race road on, race cross on, do events like D2R2 and other rides on the local dirt roads, commute on, and such. Definitely a 36 inner ring with a few big ring options. Groupset would be Campagnolo Chorus because even if money is no object buying it, it would always hurt my sensbilities when I break something and need to replace it. Enve 3.4 definitely for rims. Likely laced to some beautiful White Industries or Alchemy hubs. And it wouldn't be a WW build because it would have to be steel built by a legendary builder (Sachs ideally) with classic looking geometry (do not *f##k* slope my top tube).

If you can only have one bike, a 13 lb WW build definitely should not be it!

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What dvincere says. I'm not into cross though, and therefore could make do with a Hampsten Strada Bianca.

eurperg

by eurperg

I would build a ratty looking Surly Cross-check without a doubt...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

wassertreter wrote:What dvincere says. I'm not into cross though, and therefore could make do with a Hampsten Strada Bianca.

Well, now you are making me second guess myself!!

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

I still have my cross bike, it's aluminum but I did as much as I could to get it down to 20.8lbs. But the R3 feels snappier, and almost as comfortable. I definitely love the 25mm tires more, and the clearance makes it ideal for different weather situations.

I think I might get an R5CA frame and start with either a campy or DA electronic gruppo. Not sure which wheels Id go with though!

morrisond

by morrisond

A Baum Corretto with Great Paint Job (Matte Black body, GTB paint scheme, Campy Red as accent color), Disc Brakes, Super Record EPS with Hidden Battery, Wheels would be Enve 29xc rims, Cx-Ray's and Chris King R45 Disc Hub's.

The bike would be built with Clearance for 28MM tires, Enve Post, Fork and 3T team Steam painted to Match, 3T Team Stealth bar

That would be my one bike that could do everything.

skywalker268

by skywalker268

custom rob english cross bike. Raw stainless steel. Full DA9000, two sets of wheels, enve 3.4 CC for on the road, 3.4 tubular for cross/off road. Both laced to CK hubs. Nothing super exotic, just an awesome race/train/ride bike. And no, not discs. I'll take mini-v's thanks, wait till they figure out how to cool a rotor for on road use.

sancle1

by sancle1

My bianchi pista . I can go just about anywhere on it

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Parlee Z Zero, Di2 9070, THM M3 cranks, Enve 3.4 Tubulars on Alchemy ELF /ORC UL hubs, Enve post, stem, bars.....,....
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

plpete

by plpete

I'm quite happy with my SLR01 but I would probably pimp it out with some ENVE Smart wheels, THM M3 crank, and curious to see what and if Sram has in store as far as electronic shifting goes.

Privateer

by Privateer

morrisond wrote:A Baum Corretto ...

Nailed it. I'd go with Di2 rather than EPS and Extralite rather than 3T, but they're minor quibbles.

aaric

by aaric

Single bike - would have to go with something that handles the uses of my two road and one mountain bike.

I'd probably go with a custom carbon disc cyclecross bike with fender mounts. Would currently probably use some BB7's for brakes, but might have to wait and see what happens with the road hydraulics. Would have a hard time deciding on the group currently though...but would probably stick on some shimano di9070, and use some custom built enve 3.4s laced to disc hubs. Probabably stick my standard cockpit on it. Not sure I could get it under 15lbs in a 56-58cm. Currently I'm running sram on my two road bikes, but they tend to be a bit finicky with cable adjustment (though that's likely my fault for going with a short iLink loop on the RDs), and when one starts acting up, I tend to ride the other till I have time to do proper maintenance - di2 should sort that issue.

Sadly, I'd end up with a bike that cost as much as my current three bikes, and was heavier than all but the mountain bike :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com