Campy EPS with THM Clavicula Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I know that the Campy EPS can be finicky when using non-Campy drive train components, i.e., cranks. Does anyone currently have this setup (SR EPS w/ Clavicula cranks/Praxis rings)? If so, does it shift as well as a full Campy drive train?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Interested as well

Tumppi

by Tumppi

Don't have Claviculas, but I have Look Zed2 crankset on my Look 695 with stronglight rings and EPS super record. Shifting is as good as my wife bike with Athena EPS with Campy 11sp crankset. So I assume EPS works perfectly with Claviculas/Praxis crankset.

Martin1977

by Martin1977

I do not have EPS, but mechanical SR. I was also very scared about performance with Clavicula and non Campagnolo rings. But my build was WW project so I decided to buy Clavicula with FibreLyte rings. Front shifting is great and I did not have any single problem during whole season with this setup.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have m3s and praxis rings with mech Sr and the shifting is awesome. Every bit as good as with campag rings and cranks

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I have Rotor 3D+ with a Power2Max and Praxis Works chainrings on my Campy 11s and shifting is superb and I never had a single miss shift. You shouldn't have any issues.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Thanks for the replies -- I know that the SR11 mechanical with Clavicula/Praxis works (required minor FD adjustment due to higher Q factor of the Clavicula). The EPS, however, is quite a bit more sensitive to non-Campy hardware. My LBS swears they'd be able to make it work but they haven't done it. Hence, my quest for first hand experience.

Tumppi, glad to know that SR EPS works well with your Look/Stronglight combo!

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

My personal Storck Fascenario F0.6 comes with the PowerArms which are basically a THM M3 crankset...have some Tune chainrings and EPS SR and works perfectly.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

jmartpr wrote:My personal Storck Fascenario F0.6 comes with the PowerArms which are basically a THM M3 crankset...have some Tune chainrings and EPS SR and works perfectly.

Yep -- I've seen a photo of that setup on the Storck site. Glad to know that the shifting works perfectly. Did it require anything out of the ordinary in terms of FD setup?

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Nothing special.....like any regular FD

vboy19

by vboy19

I have EPS with a Clavicula Crank and Praxis(sp?) chain rings. It works fine, The only issue I'm having is the when the front der. is in the smallest ring there is rub in the cage when I am on the lowest cog in the rear.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

vboy19 wrote:I have EPS with a Clavicula Crank and Praxis(sp?) chain rings. It works fine, The only issue I'm having is the when the front der. is in the smallest ring there is rub in the cage when I am on the lowest cog in the rear.

I think that's quite normal when riding cross-chain -- does it on my mechanical SR. Interested to know if you've ever dropped a chain when shifting from 53 to 39 (or 50 to 36 if compact). Do you use a chain catcher with this setup? Thanks.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Causidicus wrote:Not normal. EPS set up properly does not rub anywhere.

With Claviculas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

At least with my Storck PowerArms (Same as M3) there's never any rub of the chain with the FD.
Guess FD positioning coudl also influence this but as noted if it's well setup the FD adjust itself to eliminate any chain rub.