Thomson bars are here (pics page 2)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Fresh off the truck and into my hot little hands:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91786372@N ... 046184426/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I went with the cross model because of its shorter drop compared with the road model. The one thing I really like about my Pro Vibe 7S bars is the 31.8 diameter that extends across the entire bar top. According to the spec sheet, the KFC One has a very similar large diameter throughout the tops. From what I can see, this will be very comfortable.

I expect my new-to-me stem (Zipp Service Course SL) will also be arriving today, and hopefully my Aican cables will come later in the week. I'd love to get this built up over the weekend. Based on what other people are seeing for real world weights, I am guess that between the new bars and cables, I be dropping close to 150g. Not a ton, but not too bad either.

UPDATE: 187 grams for 42cm bars.
Last edited by FastforaSlowGuy on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

I've got about 1200 miles on the KFCs and am very happy with them. They were lighter than advertised as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Nice. It looks like they are totally round, not ovalized at all? So you'll get that consistent diameter.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks, but you did not post a weight? On Weight Weenies?

???????

:)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Weights are coming. I'll update when I get home. I think weighing bike parts in my office might test my colleagues' patience a little beyond what I'm comfortable.

prendrefeu wrote:Thanks, but you did not post a weight? On Weight Weenies?

???????

:)

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Nevermind, the justice of your comment persuaded me that my priorities were all wrong. I walked across the street and bought a scale just for this purpose, and weighed the bars. (My other one is questionable anyway.) 187 grams, or 8.8% lighter than advertised. Go Thomson!

mattydubs

by mattydubs

It looks like my 42's actually weigh 6 ounces, roughly 170.097 grams. If I found the right picture that is. They were advertised at 204 I believe. Thats about 17% lighter. They've been fantastic, FWIW.
Last edited by mattydubs on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Yeah, that's what I found too... I was looking for my scale pics I took when I bought the damn things. Couldn't find them. I swear I took photos to prove it to myself though.

bricky21

by bricky21

Any of you guy's really pulled and twisted on them yet to see how substantial they are? I've seen 200 gram bars that are really stout and 250g. bars that seem pretty flimsy. Just curious as to what kind of bar Thomson is building.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I don't recall a Classic shape/drop style?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Not sure what your standards are for "pulling and twisting" on this context. I have about 200 miles on my new Thomson road bars, in that time I have pulled as hard as I ever did on previous bars (back and forth on steep hills etc), and haven't noticed any deflection or anything to give me pause. They definitely feel more substantive than the bars I just took off (Zipp Contour SL which were a few grams heavier) but that's because there's more volume of bar in my hands, and not because they feel any "stiffer" in how I'd use that term.

EDIT: My size 44 are 187 grams. These are everyday bars, not that I'm a racer or anything like that. I go 185 pounds generally and they won't need any babying.
Last edited by carlislegeorge on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That's a really great weight!! Thanks guys!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

I've not mounted them, but just trying to give them a twist off the bike showed them to be at least as stiff as the other bars I have lying around (Ritchey WCS alu). I'm pretty sure my steerer will flex long before these!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

thomson is not know for their carbon production, no? who makes these?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Thanks guys. I'm not all that interested in how stiff they are per se. More how tough do they seem. Iow do they feel like they'll be a durable product for everyday riding/racing, or strictly a raceday only product? I know it's hard to say, but I just wanted to hear some reactions from those who've bought them.