Lightweight Standard Gen 1 - convert to Shim 11sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I have a set of LW Stds that must be Gen 1. They are built around the DT 240s hub internals. Does anyone see any reason why I wouldn't be able to convert them to take Shimano 11sp by changing the rotor and end cap to the new 240s 11sp compatible versions?

I am thinking it should be fine, but since these wheels are not the most recent generations, I am just wondering if I am missing anything.

Thanks,
Geoff

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The wheel will be out of dish, technically. Personally, I did this on one and could not see an appreciable difference. IMO the dish change is less than dish variance between two different wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

LW Gen Is didn't have DT swiss internals as far as I know - I thought they had Dura Ace hub internals for Shimano ones. I think your wheels may be Gen II?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Let me clarify. The LWs I am referring to were the first generation produced after the company was purchased by Carbonsport. They have DT internals. I also have a set of the pre-Carbonsport LWs from the Dierl & Obermeyer days, and they do have Shimano 7700 internals in the rear hub.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

In Lightweight Mellenstein, Andreas Schiwy, a.k.a. CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:All Lightweight rear wheels will be compatible to Shimano 11s. The new production has modified hubs, and there will be new DT freehub bodies (marked as 11s). Four different combinatins wiil be possible:
  • 10s wheel + 10s freehub body => 130mm wide, the well known setting up to now
  • 10s wheel + 11s freehub body => 131mm, wheel is 0,5mm off center to the left, when using 21t or 23t cassettes derailler may contact spokes (only with sprint rear wheel)
  • 11s wheel + 10s freehub body => 131mm, wheel is 0,5mm off center to the right
  • 11s wheel + 11s freehub body => 131mm (spacer needed to use 10s cassettes here, spacer is part of purchased parts package)

In Lightweight Mellenstein, Andreas Schiwy, a.k.a. CarbonSportsGmbH wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:So is there no spoke contact problem for all 10 speed Lightweight wheels other than sprint? What about Ventoux Gen. II or Gen. III with DT 240 or DT 190 plus new (11s) freehub? What are the consequences of being 0,5 mm off center?

- Ventoux could be critical as well, as they are 24spoked. The "contact area" are the knots where the spokes are bended together...
- 0,5mm off center does not really matter... many wheels come off center and you would never realise during riding. Lots of frames might be off center as well..

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

thanks Hammertime,

Just to be sure, what do they define as a "sprint" rear wheel?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Sprint rear wheel has 24 spokes (it was designed for a sprinter, to be even stiffer than the Standard). If you have 20 spokes rear, you are fine.

Note that Ventoux, now Gipfelsturm, also has 24 spokes rear, but given that you have a Standard, you obviously do not have that.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Gotcha. My rear LW has 20 spokes.

Thanks.

Stegger

by Stegger

The age of this wheel indirectly shows how old I am, but as the wheel I hope I still have few rides left in me:

The shown Shimano freehub is on LIghtweight wheel I bought directly from Driel and Obermeyer way back in 1997 and while it is likely far from the recent versions of Carbonsports wheels it is not too bad though. So, I would like to use it on a new upcoming bike with a new 11-speed Di2 group. Does anyone here dare to speculate if it is at all doable getting an 11 speed shimano freehub onto this wheel and perhaps also where I could buy on that would fit?

Thanks!

Mackers

by Mackers

That looks like a 7400 freehub, which would mean that you're on your own.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There was a thread on here, but cant find it.
From what i remember, the answer was no...
Official cafe stop tester

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

in the early days of shimano testing their 11-speed group, there were people running on a regular wheel but with one cog removed from the cassette. so the rest of the 11-speed system will work, you will just have 10-speeds.

probably the only way of doing it with that hub.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Stegger wrote:The age of this wheel indirectly shows how old I am, but as the wheel I hope I still have few rides left in me:

The shown Shimano freehub is on LIghtweight wheel I bought directly from Driel and Obermeyer way back in 1997 and while it is likely far from the recent versions of Carbonsports wheels it is not too bad though. So, I would like to use it on a new upcoming bike with a new 11-speed Di2 group. Does anyone here dare to speculate if it is at all doable getting an 11 speed shimano freehub onto this wheel and perhaps also where I could buy on that would fit?

Thanks!

sorry, not possible. i had a pair of these wheels and sold them when I found out 11 speed wasn't a goer...they have a 7700 free hub...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

With 30 minutes of work you could probably have gotten them to work on 7700 hubs.