MadFiber clincher - tyre blowing off

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

a customer is having an issue with clincher tires blowing off of madfiber rims. first tire was a gp4000s, and was replaced after 1st blow off. 2nd tire was Conti 4 season.

has anyone else had a similar issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

One of friends had a gp4000s blow off. Replaced with ultremos. then had two blow off in one ride. then got rid of them. another had two blow off as well.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Shallow rim hooks on the clinchers? Heard of that happening before too, but could it have been a cause of excessive inflation? Anyway I'm glad I'm using MF tubulars!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

What does MadFiber have to say about this?

All that cash for those wheels, and the tires are coming off? Not good.

Jere

by Jere

Hi
When installing tire only put 30 to 50 psi in first pull and push on tire to seat the bead all the way around.
Spin wheel to be sure the tire is round and seated
I had one other problem with them check the inter rim seam it had a very sharp edge that I cleaned up.
I myself do not use Conti high end tires

wpccrunner wrote:a customer is having an issue with clincher tires blowing off of madfiber rims. first tire was a gp4000s, and was replaced after 1st blow off. 2nd tire was Conti 4 season.

has anyone else had a similar issue?

winky

by winky

Oops. I kinda feel bad for telling a guy I saw go down in a corner at a local crit that he must not have mounted his tires correctly or something because people don't really ever roll clinchers in a corner. He was sure it was his Madfiber rims. I was convinced that it wasn't. Now, after seeing this thread I am not so sure. Wonder what is going on with these rims.

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

Arent these wheels supposed to have no weight limit and no tire pressure limit? I haven't heard of any other issues and rode about 1000 miles on a set without a problem. Kinda surprising to hear this bad news since it uses an aluminum clincher rim that is reinforced with carbon...

drmutley

by drmutley

nhluhr

by nhluhr

From what I've seen, I would never buy these wheels, even if priced at 50%.

The demos we've had through the shop are frequently out of true despite their claim that it's impossible for them to get out of true.

winky

by winky

drmutley wrote:Same story as the poor guy here:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah. This is definitely not good. I definitely have changed my mind. I wouldn't ride these in a crit at all. And if you see a rider in a crit with these rims, stay far, far away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com