Bontrager Race X-Lites - 1st upgrade to my CAAD 10?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Lurking around on cl and found a pair of unused Bontrager Race X-Lites up for sale for just about half their retail price.
Came on the prev owners bike, and evidently while he meant to use them for racing, never got that far.
The twin spoke design looks kinda neat, but does anyone have any experience with the durability of these?
Also trying to pin down what they weigh, as most of the info online seem to focus on their more expensive siblings in the Bontrager lineup.

For the $, seem like a nice first upgrade to my new CAAD 10, as the RS-10's that came on it do feel a little porky.

TIA

Yarks
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 113245

New wheels = instant gratification
I say invest money into power meter and keep the RS-10s for now

FeitoSpain

by FeitoSpain

I've worked with Trek and Bontrager, and I have contact with two cyclists that bought them and they are happy. I tried them once but only a few minutes, so I can't tell you how I felt with them. I don't remember the weight exactly, but the people who ask for them it's the most of the times because it's a light weight wheel.

It could be a nice upgrade as you say, but I'd have a look at other wheels before, as Bontrager are a bit expensive.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

if the wheels are a good deal, go for it. However, keep in mind that the paired spoke design is already at least three years old (Bontrager redesigned the RXL's for the 2010 model). If they're selling for "half" retail price, that might be a bit high. Unless those wheels have no mileage, i'd look for a better deal.

I have a set of the 2010 RXL's. those frequently go on e-bay for the mid-$300 range. I tried selling mine a while ago, before deciding to keep them as climbing wheels, now that i have somewhere to go and do hilly rides. the wheels are a good balance between weight and price, and i recommend them. DT internals in the hub, and they seem pretty reliable (my wife rides hers full time, me, only partially), with only a frozen spoke for her after three years, and a broken spoke for me about two years ago.

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Thanks for the replies so far all.

To the point above, indeed they are apparently 0 mileage wheels, but the fact that Bont did a redesign in 2010 or so, made me wonder whether there were any inherent issues with the twin spoke design. It also got me wondering just how heavy the actual rim is to survive minimal support like that.
Perhaps I'll see if he's willing to bend on price a bit further...

Re power-meter -> definitely on the wish list, but a fair way out of the budget for right now.
Unless I'm missing some relatively inexpensive ones?
Most I've seen so far cost more than my bike did.
That said I've just started data logging with the edge 500 bundle, and appreciate the importance of information!
(data logging on our race cars has made a huge difference in our competitiveness, I'm sure it reaps similar rewards in cycling, though capturing different sorts of data).
2013 CAAD 10 105

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ah, powermeters. i don't think most people will take full advantage of the information provided by them. I have recently started using the PowerCal, which i like. although it does not give you accurate real-time power numbers, once digested through Garmin Connect or Strava, i can usually extrapolate some very good numbers out of it. I believe the reviews i have seen for it have been pretty good, and it actually looks just as accurate (if not more so) than the Stages unit.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I wouldn't worry much about the redesign meaning the old wheels weren't any good; Bontrager/Trek made the RXLs with paired spokes for the better part of a decade, with no major problems. I've had a pair of the 2006 vintage since they were released; they spent 4 years on my road bike, about 10k miles with no problems, and the past 3 years on my 'cross bike, likewise with no problems. Mine come in right around 1,500 grams for the set, have never broken a spoke (I weigh 160 or so), and stay true nicely, even on the 'cross bike. The DT hub internals are totally bombproof as well, and will likely outlive you.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

heavier riders (myself) will have a problem with the pair spokes. I know from experience. Even though Bontrager/Trek claimed that there was no difference in stiffness, they went back to the unpaired design.

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

FIJIGabe wrote:heavier riders (myself) will have a problem with the pair spokes. I know from experience. Even though Bontrager/Trek claimed that there was no difference in stiffness, they went back to the unpaired design.

What qualifies as "heavier"?
I'm 80kg around Christmas :oops: , and ideally low 70's mid-training.
2013 CAAD 10 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com