Trouble patching Vittoria Ultralight inner tubes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

I bought some a few Vittoria Ultralight tubes and can't seem to patch them using Park Tool GP-2 pre glued patches...

Riding yesterday I punctured - Patched, continued cycling for no more than 3minutes and patch blows off - repeat three times before binning tube.
Punctured today, swapped tubes and patched when I got home. 5 minutes later the patch blows off. Fixed again and it blows off again. Bike's just propped up against the wall and the patches are from a second box.

So, anyone else had this trouble??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Can't comment on the specific problem, but why bother with pre-glued patches anyway? They're generally rubbish and always fail eventually. You're better off swapping in a new tube on the road and patching the punctured tube when you get home.

iamalex

by iamalex

Not really had any trouble with them in the past, that's why I thought I throw it out there. I'll pick a Rema kit tomorrow and give that a whirl with these tubes.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

They aren't worth patching. I thought pretty much everyone chucked them away when they punctured.

by 113245

Sure they're worth patching. I have a bike with a tube that's been in use for something like 4 years... has 8 patches on it. Still going strong.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Valbrona wrote:They aren't worth patching. I thought pretty much everyone chucked them away when they punctured.

Some of us don't like throwing away money. Sure, I might like unpatched tubes for my nice light race bike, but I have no qualms about patches on my commuter or my winter bike.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

A tube is a few dollars. Save yourself the trouble.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kode54

by kode54

113245 wrote:Sure they're worth patching. I have a bike with a tube that's been in use for something like 4 years... has 8 patches on it. Still going strong.

adds a few unnecessary grams. i usually only patch once. second time, i chuck it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

DMF

by DMF

Fix the tube, save the earth. There's all the reason you need.

2 billion cyclicts each binning 1 tube a year. that's 20.000.000.000 tubes in ten years...

madmole

by madmole

All the pre glued patches are rubbish, they only stick when brand new. A couple of months in the saddle bag and they are toast. Even when they do stick they peel off after a few months. Cant beat good old fashioned glue and talc

Cold weather, Talc on the tube, bit damp and they wont stick
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

I have a job lot of 50 Rema Tip Top patches, adhesive and 5 new tubes ordered which should keep me going for a while!

The price of tubes soon adds up over a year if you can't be bothered to try and fix them. And...

DMF - That's a large number. Even the humble inner tube has a rather large carbon footprint. I'm not sure how to go about recycling all the old tyres and tubes I got lying about here in the UK. Car tyres cannot go to landfill but bikes tyres can and I don't think they are recycled by my borough in London. I better look into it.