"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Mario Jr. wrote:And you know how much Shimano pays for Sky to use their wheels, groups and cockpits, right?

It's a lot, which makes them perfectly able to say that "we pay, you use our stuff". You don't see Wiggo TT'ing on a Speed Concept or a Shiv, even though those things are most probably faster than the Pina's.

No, you see him tt on a bike that BC had to get designed alongside Pinarello.

You see them using Speedplay pedals, Enve wheels, UKSI bars and stems, Castilli rain jackets,

They'll be using q rings later in the season too.

Shimano can say what they like. Sky will still do what they think they need to in order to win. They don't need the money.

wingguy

by wingguy

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:No, you see him tt on a bike that BC had to get designed alongside Pinarello.

When he is racing for Team Sky? Example?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Epic-o

by Epic-o

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:No, you see him tt on a bike that BC had to get designed alongside Pinarello.

If you compare the Graal and the UK bikes you will see that there aren't many similar design choices

KWalker

by KWalker

Mario Jr. wrote:
plpete wrote:
KWalker wrote:Was Stannard on round rings?

Yup, round for Stannard - http://www.cyclingnews.com/milan-san-remo/photos/256762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Sky rider on round rings - http://www.cyclingnews.com/milan-san-remo/photos/256561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like the oval ones are being used a bit more during the long climbing races/stages. I know that is where I prefer mine.

I was told Shimano has put the foot down and demanded that the team uses only Shimano products. Let's see if the big wigs gets to put ovals on when big time comes later in the season.

Not true with shoes or glasses- riders can use whatever they want for both. Pedals require a medical exemption. All of the riders can use the non-round rings if they want.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

micky

by micky

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:They'll use what they like. Shimano don't have that much input!

Trek are the front runner as bike sponsor if Pinarello don't renew next season.

Trek? Really?

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

wingguy wrote:

The graal was designed by the BC aerodynamics consultant because they would not use the previous Pinarello tt bike.

pastronef

by pastronef

micky wrote:
Rodrego Hernandez wrote:They'll use what they like. Shimano don't have that much input!

Trek? Really?

maybe they are tired of RadioShack

anyway: TREK really? :mrgreen:

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

pastronef wrote:
micky wrote:

Trek? Really?

maybe they are tired of RadioShack

anyway: TREK really? :mrgreen:

Yeah, really.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

For all the crap that they get, are they really that bad of a bike? Surely the Speed Concept is a pretty quick TT bike as plenty of other teams use it under guise. And the Madone can't be so awful can it? I think the new brake system is crap, but then again, it just won MSR, can't be that bad.

disclaimer: I have never owned nor currently own anything Trek.

wingguy

by wingguy

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
wingguy wrote:

The graal was designed by the BC aerodynamics consultant because they would not use the previous Pinarello tt bike.

Source?

munk93

by munk93

ultyguy wrote:For all the crap that they get, are they really that bad of a bike? Surely the Speed Concept is a pretty quick TT bike as plenty of other teams use it under guise. And the Madone can't be so awful can it? I think the new brake system is crap, but then again, it just won MSR, can't be that bad.

Who?

pastronef

by pastronef

munk93 wrote:
ultyguy wrote:For all the crap that they get, are they really that bad of a bike? Surely the Speed Concept is a pretty quick TT bike as plenty of other teams use it under guise. And the Madone can't be so awful can it? I think the new brake system is crap, but then again, it just won MSR, can't be that bad.

Who?

Coppel intead of Time last year
and La Pomme Marseille this year

when i asked "really" i did not meat they are bad bikes at all

just asking about marketing strategy and contracts. never thought about Sky+Trek

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Small continental team riders often use their personal bikes in races.

KWalker

by KWalker

Every single person I know that has a 2010 or newer Trek seems to love it be it the new Madone, Speed Concept, etc. The brand gets a lot of shit in the US for being the go-to brand for newer riders and thus its not exclusive, but the top end models are still awesome bikes. The only reason I got a Super Six was because a Madone with a 7900 or better groupset was just too much cash- I would have rather tried a H1 7 series honestly.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

KWalker wrote:

Every single person I know that has a 2010 or newer Trek seems to love it be it the new Madone, Speed Concept, etc. The brand gets a lot of shit in the US for being the go-to brand for newer riders and thus its not exclusive, but the top end models are still awesome bikes. The only reason I got a Super Six was because a Madone with a 7900 or better groupset was just too much cash- I would have rather tried a H1 7 series honestly.

I can put my two cents in, but only in the fact that I was racing a TREK for two seasons, same bike both seasons, and it was not the high end Madone, the 5 series. I hated it. I got wins, but I always felt like it was not stiff enough. Teammate had a 6 series top of the line and when we gave the bikes back, he went back to his GIANT from a previous team. He called and ask me if the GIANT was really supposed to be that much better of a bike?? I, like KWalker, went to Cannondale this season, but not carbon, I went to aluminum. One because I had raced on it before with great results, and two, for the price.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?