Mavic Reflex - is it that bad?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Just idly looking at various old school tubular rims. There seem to be lots of negative reviews of the Mavic Reflex - are they really that bad? Any way to avoid cracking them, or are they just not worth the bother?
Last edited by MajorMantra on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I've never had a problem with any Mavic rims in 20 years...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I've had Mavic Open Pro clincher rims crack at the eyelet. No problem with my Reflex rims but they have not been used in years. So... I think the Reflex and Open Pro are basically identical in the body portion. I will never use Mavic rims again.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The problem with Mavics is that they are a low tension rim. Cracking on Mavic rims has been reperted but bear in mind many more given trouble miles. It may not be my favourite rim but they are cheap and light and are of resonable quality. the OP and Reflex also build decent wheels if you are on a budget.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

How high would you take the DS tension on a Reflex rear then? Mavic's tech docs rather mysteriously seem to imply 90kgf for all their rims, but AFAIK nobody actually builds them that low. I imagine you'd have problems trying that with a modern Campag hub especially, given the flange spacing.

I know cracking has been reported on Mavic rims other than the Reflex but anecdotal (i.e. forum) evidence seem to point to the Reflex as having a particular problem.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I build Mavic rims to 1100-1200N tension max tension, really whatever is required by the hub I am using. I did a wheelset with Campag pista hubs this was nice as I could use 1000N. I would not even use 900N on a front wheel. I tension front wheels to 950-1000N.

I have not seen a cracked OP yet I do not think it that common. Remeber you will only hear about the problems think about all the wheels ot there with campag hubs that do not have problems.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Fair point. So you wouldn't give the Reflex special treatment then?

ergott

by ergott

The Velocity Escape is a good alternative. Better average weight and fewer reported problems. It's a very simple shallow V rim. You also have several color/finish options.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I suppose. The main appeal of the Reflex is the looks (CD finish) and the fact that I can get them pretty cheap. Not that I even need them - I have no idea why I'm thinking about this. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The problem with Mavics is that they are a low tension rim

Precisely.
If you must use these rim go for high spoke count, high cross count and solder the crossings together. Naturally, take the hub into account as well.
For this kind of box type rim build I like the Ambrosio offerings a lot. Or even the older Mavic GP4s for that matter.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.