Update - repainted 2012 Parlee Z5 SLi new pics at page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

First time poster.
I have had this sweet machine for two months and the ride is perfect. Was trying to pick between this and the Colnago C59, but after I had a test ride on the Parlee, the decision was "no contest" for me. Details follow:

Size M/L with Tall HT option.
Frame weight out of the box was 830 grams, uncut fork was 310 grams.
Full Dura-Ace Di2 with all stock DA 7900 bits...brakes, crank, chain, wires.
DA WH-7900-24-TL wheels with Maxxis Padrone tires (plus sealant)
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals
Arundel Mandible bottle cages
Zipp SL Speed carbon post and stem (110 mm)
Zipp Zipp Contour SL handlebars (46 cm)
Far and Near Road Skewers
Fizik Antares 00 saddle
Garmin Edge 800 standard mount and speed/cadence sensor

Thanks to Matt at All-American Bikes in Damascus MD & Eric at Bicycle Pro Shop in Alexandria, VA for taking my money and making this dream come true.

...still a ways to go for WW purposes (maybe new wheels in a few months), so it's...
...15.03 lbs as you see it (sorry for the amateur pics)

Last edited by carlislegeorge on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

phazon

by phazon

Stunning. I have the SL, and I love it, incredible bike - even if a tiny bit of me is regretting not getting the SLi.

Enjoy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tohd1978

by tohd1978

A beauty!!! Should have gotten a Parlee instead of my SWorks SL4. Nonetheless a Parlee will be next!

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

tohd1978 wrote:A beauty!!! Should have gotten a Parlee instead of my SWorks SL4. Nonetheless a Parlee will be next!

I traded up from a 2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 in Project Black. The Parlee is way sweeter, even though the Spesh is a fine ride. Luckily there is a nice resale market for the project black!

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

As it sits now...down to 6.52 kg (or 14.35 lbs)
Dura-Ace Di2 with stock DA 7970 bits, except...Praxis 52/36 rings
Farsports 38mm carbon clinchers w/Novatec SL hubs, Sapim Cx-Ray, Veloflex Corsa 23 tires
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals
Generic bottle cages (38 grams/pair)
Ritchey Superlogic seatpost and 3T Team Arx stem
Thomson Road Carbon handlebar (size 44)
One23 skewers
Fizik Antares 00 saddle
Racewaredirect mount for Garmin 800
Cane Creek blue headset pieces

quattrings

by quattrings

What's your opinion on the handlebars?

Between these and the ritchey superlogic evo curve I chose latter because I did not like the graphics on the KFC cross bars, which are more similar in shape to the superlogics. If the Thomson bars are as good as the rest of their line they are a steal though.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I really like the handlebars, best ones I've had yet. They are comfortable on the road and fit my hands much better than the Zipp carbon bars I just took off. They came in a few grams under advertised weight. Graphics on these are pretty minimal.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Looks great now! I like the little bit of colour. I'm so excited to pick up my Thomson bars... every time I hear someone say they like their's I get giddy!

Naturel

by Naturel

carlislegeorge wrote:
tohd1978 wrote:A beauty!!! Should have gotten a Parlee instead of my SWorks SL4. Nonetheless a Parlee will be next!

I traded up from a 2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 in Project Black. The Parlee is way sweeter, even though the Spesh is a fine ride. Luckily there is a nice resale market for the project black!

Nice bike!

Could you tell me the difference with the SL3?
I hesitate with a Cervelo R5 for the stifsness...Is the Parlee not so stiff and nervous that 'pro' frame?
Thank You for your review.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Purely subjective, the Parlee Z5 SLi feels noticeably better than the Tarmac...but this is incremental rather than leaps and bounds. The Parlee is just as quick and responsive and stiff, if not more so, and it does it at a higher comfort level. When I jump on it, it takes off just as quickly or even quicker as the Tarmac Pro SL3 I had previously. I haven't flexed anything BB-wise, ever, as far as I can tell. It handles very precisely and surefootedly, but the Tarmac never gave me a problem either, it felt stiff but not particularly "nervous" as far as I could tell. Climbing? The Parlee seems to leap up the hills when I have the legs to push it.

Bottom line the Tarmac SL3 was a very fine ride, but I was in the market for something different. This Z5 SLi just kind of disappeared underneath me on a long test ride, and my mind was made up. It does everything very very well, exceeds my meager abilities and engine.

ross

by ross

Not keen on the blue personally, but otherwise nice build!

Liggero

by Liggero

Awesome build. I would change the blue parts and maybe the cable housings and also the cranks if the frame has bb30. but these cranks are the best anyways. geometry seems really good, i love the tall head tube.
Happy Trails !!!

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Cable housings? Not sure about that one. I am going to put on some Hollowgram SL cranks to see how they look with the Praxis rings. And those cheapo bottle cages may have saved 17 grams but seem way too loose while riding. The Arundel Mandible cages are going back on.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

Gorgeous! I like the blue, but I think the amount on the HS doesn't balance well with the rest of the bike. Maybe swap in some black spacers are use a blue seatpost clamp to even things out?

My Thompson bars should arrive Wednesday. I went with the cross model (tape will cover the graphics) because of the shorter drop. Glad to hear you like yours!

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

A couple small updates to Parlee Z5 SLi....brakes (black TRP R979 EQ), KMC X10SL DLC black chain, and used Hollowgram SL crank arms...weight as shown is down to 6.41 kg / 14.13 lb...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com