Bikes, Watches and Hi Fi.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

bikes are like watches...mechanical. hi fi not so much. that said, i usually buy what i like, design-wise more than going for cost. watches that i wear? i love the older ventura titanium watches like the Ego or Loga ones.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

taina

by taina

In my experience, any hearing person will immediately notice the difference between a very good hifi and a less good one. For a start, imaging is better. As with bikes, component-matching and setup makes a big difference.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

I'm kinda wondering why this thread hasn't been locked yet?

Not sure which is more pointless, this or the cycling vs soccer thread :roll:

ticou

by ticou

I find that the best chat sites look further afield from the main bone of contemplation from time to time. Just saying.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^^just put somewhere phrases like "doping", "incorrect position", "lighter" and "Farrar crashed once again" and the topic will be just kosher enough
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Perhaps I don't understand the thread, but in regards to the camparison made between bikes, watches, cars, and value appriciation etc...:

All I know is I had a Parlee Z3 (best bike i've ridden, I just don't keep bikes that long, no complaints) and I tried to sell it for about 4 months and the best I could do was sell it for 18% of what I payed retail.

So.........if a Rolex, Ferrari etc... go up in value or just stay the same.....

seems like a "fine quality bike" is not in the same catagory in regards to value etc...

Just my experinece :noidea: .

For what it's worth :D
Last edited by carbon2329 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kode54

by kode54

carbon2329 wrote:Perhaps I don't understand the thread, but in regards to the camparison made between bikes, watches, cars, and value appriciation etc...:

All I know is I had a Parlee Z3 (best bike i've ridden, I just don't keep bikes that long) and I ried to sell it for about 4 months and the best I could do was sell it for 18% of what I payed retail.

So.........if a Rolex, Ferrari etc... go up in value or just stay the same.....

seems like a "fine quality bike" is not in the same catagory in regards to value etc...

Just my experinece :noidea: .

For what it's worth :D

so true. the only things i've seen go up in value are the old Campagnolo parts in pristine condition. but then again, what's the point in having it when you aren't using it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

neeb

by neeb

I have a few different 40 year old vintage King Seikos myself. Fascinating in-house movements, accurate to a second or two a day after servicing

neeb

by neeb

..and actually fit my skinny wrists properly, unlike any modern watch. Why anyone would spend 10 times as much on something as crude and ubiquitous as a rolex is beyond me.

skiezo

by skiezo

I am not a fan of hi-end watches,cars, ect. My iphone 4s keeps time just fine.
My audio is another story, Not top,top of the line but still a very respectable system.

1) American made tube amp by Cary.
2)American made pre amp by Quicksilver
3) British made CD transport by audio note
4) American made DAC-1 deluxe by McCormack audio
5) Some custom made speakers with Danish drivers and ribbon tweeters.
6) hand made cables to connect it all together
7) Dedicated listing room with a super comfy Danish leather reclining love seat .
==
Pure bliss
Last edited by skiezo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ticou

by ticou

Very nice too Skiezo. Arms across the water from AA land perchance?

mikeyc

by mikeyc

Hmmm, Watches, bikes and hi fi all happen to be my biggest vices. The engineering artistry that goes into a bike Is is Similar to a fine mechanical timepiece and a high end audio component. They're beautiful but will cost you. No wonder my wife thinks I should get cheaper hobbies.

sawyer

by sawyer

Re cars and bikes and the depreciation issue ...

The performance improvement in bikes over time is essential to their value and generates depreciation.

Not so with cars as in practice we're subject to speed limits and safety concerns. A Ferrari 250 GTO wld be monstered by a 458 Italia but it matters not to their value.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

audiojan

by audiojan

Ok, I'm in.

Obviously, audio is a major hobbies as well....
Currently being revamped, so some changes will happen over the next few weeks. Thiel CS2.4 speakers, Mark Levinson ML334, looking for a Balanced Audio Technology VK30SE or VK31SE. The current digital front end is an Oppo BDP-95. All cables are Cardas Cross and Golden Cross. Analog front end is a Clearaudio Champion with a Benz cartridge and a Graham Slee Amp II SE phono preamp (which will hopefully be replaced with a balanced phono pre). For the home theater, Thiel MCS1's for the 3 fronts and Thiel PowerPoints for all surrounds, driven by an Onkyo TX-NR1009. Just sold off my Krell HTS 7.1 pre amp and selling off a Krell amp and some other A/V stuff...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ticou

by ticou

Top banana's there Mr 'Jan. In response to Sawyer, just watched a lovely slew of 250 and P4 vid's on the tube. Gorgeous cars. It seems mechanical analogue is the tops. Quartz was the big thing, now it's history, automatic analogue rules. Every top hi fi pocket will insist on a record player for Jazz, and I will never eschew me steel.