Non-cycling friends: 'pro soccer is harder than pro cycling'

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Yeah, as had already been said it is because more people play football.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the ultimate sport is no doubt the Himalayan climbing.

not only you need to be fit as hell, have superb technical skills, last weeks-long expeditions, but also be prepared to sacrifice your life (as it was the case with the latest winter conquering of Broad Peak). iron man, cycling, etc. - they're nowhere near as demanding as climbing in probably the most unhospitable and hostile environment on earth. i've nothing but the utmost respect for all of them. oh, and they don't dope..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Sorry, mix type. I meant to say that 'football is more physically demanding than cycling' This is, of course, bollocks.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

I will throw a sharpened triple crankset to anyone who dare to compare cycling to soccer!

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

apples and oranges...

really...

It's stupid to compare the two. One is pretty much a contact sport and the other isn't. Requires a whole different set of skills and muscle / mental strengths.
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

KWalker

by KWalker

These people are idiots. Show them a clip of basically any rider ever crashing in a Grand Tour and finishing and then show them a clip of someone overexaggerating a foul. They will have no argument after.

For American football there is no direct comparison. One is a show of strength mixed with coordination, and the other is the ability to suffer for hours on end.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

hansonator69

by hansonator69

Kasparz wrote:I will throw a sharpened triple crankset to anyone who dare to compare cycling to soccer!

:lol: :goodpost:
Slam your stem.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Soccer you can be at 99% and still consistently win games. You can also have a little bit of fat and still perform exceptionally well.

Being 99% in pro cycling usually means missing the key move. 1% drop in power at the pro level is a MASSIVE change in performance. Not to mention that you need to nearly starve yourself to get into race weight. It is disgusting what some climbers have to do to their bodies to lose the pounds.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yea apples to oranges here, but in playing soccer/football most of my life (at a somewhat decent / not-recreational level), i'd certainly say from a physical demand, cycling is 'harder', but (and im sure someone will argue with me), i dont think cycling is a very 'technical' sport. I mean i dont remember many times in soccer that i've been completely bonked or out of breath, but the soccer doesn't really have many situations to deplete ones' aerobic ability to the point of exhaustion on the field. Also, i probably have just as many exterior injuries or more with playing soccer than in cycling... rolled ankles, torn ligaments, charlie horsed muscles, and a decent amount of skin abrasions from slide tackling or getting tackled.

im sure professional soccer players dope but it's probably not as frequent as there isn't a magical thing you can take to suddenly grant you foot/eye coordination and technique.

aerozy

by aerozy

Tell me any other sport where you can break bones and continue on till the end of an event!?

I get a lot of crap about going around in lycra (looking like a sissy) but In my humble opinion there aint any other sport that demands more courage than cycling. It's a man's sport true and true.

EDIT: Picture shows Robby Hunter that continued racing the tour despite a fracture in his arm :noidea: :unbelievable:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

euan

by euan

Its a stupid argument and the validation required in comparing one sport to another is ridiculous.

Biff

by Biff

tymon_tm wrote:the ultimate sport is no doubt the Himalayan climbing.

not only you need to be fit as hell, have superb technical skills, last weeks-long expeditions, but also be prepared to sacrifice your life (as it was the case with the latest winter conquering of Broad Peak). iron man, cycling, etc. - they're nowhere near as demanding as climbing in probably the most unhospitable and hostile environment on earth. i've nothing but the utmost respect for all of them. oh, and they don't dope..

Most of them take oxygen...That´s a kind of doping.It is a broad selection of people who go there.There are the "Everest tourists" who are on a egotrip and pay to almost get carried to the summit...And then there are the "Real" climbers.But they are´nt all Reinhold Messner´s that´s for sure.Everest has turned into a dump littered with corpses,oxygen bottles,tents and other discarded stuff...Sad really.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

aerozy wrote:Tell me any other sport where you can break bones and continue on till the end of an event!?

a few of my ex soccer teammates have finished matches with broken fingers/broken hands. Also the occasional dislocated shoulders popped back in. I doubt any soccer player or cyclist is going to continue with a broken leg. Had a friend finish without a tooth after being elbowed in the face =\

aerozy wrote: but In my humble opinion there aint any other sport that demands more courage than cycling. It's a man's sport true and true.

also imho one of the ultimate 'being made fun of because of the way it looks, but physically demanding beyond what many can imagine' is wrestling. not wwf.

lol not arguing with you aerozy but just commenting in the thread and the impossibleness of comparing a sport to sport.
Last edited by nathanong87 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

aerozy

by aerozy

^ You got me on this one hahaha :lol: I now feel like a wimp

EDIT: This guy wouldnt be hanging off a cliff if his arm were broken so my point still stands :up: In cycling you can brake your collar bone, boths arms, ribs and still expect to reach the end of the stage.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

aerozy wrote:^ You got me on this one hahaha :lol: I now feel like a wimp

EDIT: This guy wouldnt be hanging off a cliff if his arm were broken so my point still stands :up: In cycling you can brake your collar bone, boths arms, ribs and still expect to reach the end of the stage.

lol i think your comment the bone break and courageous points were mutually exclusive to each other. :D

now the discussion is more on sports injuries which isn't really a sign of being physically demanding. I wouldn't include 'bone breakage' into what makes a sport physically demanding

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com