Wheels: Ksyrium Elite V Fulcrum Racing 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zamm0

by zamm0

Hello people - would appreciate your views as to a potential purchase. I've just gotten an S-Works SL3 built up and need a set of summer or fine-weather wheels for it. The above two wheelsets fit my budget. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of them regarding reliability, performance, ease of rebuild, spares availability etc?? I prefer the look of the Ksyriums but my LBS have recommended the Fulcrums. FWIW - they can supply either so are not biased, and I'm ~67kg. Many thanks....

bricky21

by bricky21

I like the Fulcrum for the cup and cone bearings, and I like the Mavics because I can get them cheaper. I'd say those are two fairly equal wheels, and you couldn't go wrong either way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ticou

by ticou

Went from Elites to Zonda's ( about fulcrum 3 level). The difference is night and day. It's next winter's trudging for my elites now.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Campagnolo Zonda is the Campag branded version of the Fulcrum 3, parts and weight are virtually the same. Strangely though the Zonda's are cheaper than the Fulcrum 3's so that's what I did (if you don't mind Shimano freehub with Campagnolo decals).

And got to state the obvious- what about hand built wheel?

sawyer

by sawyer

hjb1000 wrote:Campagnolo Zonda is the Campag branded version of the Fulcrum 3, parts and weight are virtually the same. Strangely though the Zonda's are cheaper than the Fulcrum 3's so that's what I did (if you don't mind Shimano freehub with Campagnolo decals).

And got to state the obvious- what about hand built wheel?

Zondas are better IME, both because they are cheaper and the spokes are thinner/more aero. 3s have pretty fat spokes. Zondas have Bora type spokes.

If the OP is running Shimano /SRAM then I'd look at the RS80 as an alternative if he/she is <80kg. Better rims and hubs that are as good as Campag and better than Mavic.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Horze

by Horze

The distinct feature of Fulcrum/Campy wheels is the 2:1 spoke lacing pattern. This makes for an extremely well balanced wheel. So to me, this wheel stands-out head-and-shoulders far over any other. You can then account for quality of hubs, spoke profile, rims which are somewhat more-or-less evenly matched and scaled between brands and models.
I don't believe there are any other wheels on the market like Fulcrums/Campy due their TM feature. The caveat as with much else is if you're just starting out or haven't experienced a variety of different wheels and equipment you'll never know the difference.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

davidalone

by davidalone

thats BS. 2:1 drive side/NDS lacing is useed by LOTS of wheel makers. you can even lace it yourself.

Horze

by Horze

Custom build certainly.
Off-the-shelf, I've yet to see anybody do it apart from Campagnolo. It's simple and novel idea which they've already patented.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I have a standard 3T wheel here that is 2:1. Just saying..
rolobikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I think Horze is talking about the G3 pattern... I've never seen anything like that from another manufacturer
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)