HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 pm 

Hello people - would appreciate your views as to a potential purchase. I've just gotten an S-Works SL3 built up and need a set of summer or fine-weather wheels for it. The above two wheelsets fit my budget. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of them regarding reliability, performance, ease of rebuild, spares availability etc?? I prefer the look of the Ksyriums but my LBS have recommended the Fulcrums. FWIW - they can supply either so are not biased, and I'm ~67kg. Many thanks....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

I like the Fulcrum for the cup and cone bearings, and I like the Mavics because I can get them cheaper. I'd say those are two fairly equal wheels, and you couldn't go wrong either way.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:59 pm 

Went from Elites to Zonda's ( about fulcrum 3 level). The difference is night and day. It's next winter's trudging for my elites now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:02 am 

Campagnolo Zonda is the Campag branded version of the Fulcrum 3, parts and weight are virtually the same. Strangely though the Zonda's are cheaper than the Fulcrum 3's so that's what I did (if you don't mind Shimano freehub with Campagnolo decals).

And got to state the obvious- what about hand built wheel?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

hjb1000 wrote:
Campagnolo Zonda is the Campag branded version of the Fulcrum 3, parts and weight are virtually the same. Strangely though the Zonda's are cheaper than the Fulcrum 3's so that's what I did (if you don't mind Shimano freehub with Campagnolo decals).

And got to state the obvious- what about hand built wheel?

Zondas are better IME, both because they are cheaper and the spokes are thinner/more aero. 3s have pretty fat spokes. Zondas have Bora type spokes.

If the OP is running Shimano /SRAM then I'd look at the RS80 as an alternative if he/she is <80kg. Better rims and hubs that are as good as Campag and better than Mavic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm 

The distinct feature of Fulcrum/Campy wheels is the 2:1 spoke lacing pattern. This makes for an extremely well balanced wheel. So to me, this wheel stands-out head-and-shoulders far over any other. You can then account for quality of hubs, spoke profile, rims which are somewhat more-or-less evenly matched and scaled between brands and models.
I don't believe there are any other wheels on the market like Fulcrums/Campy due their TM feature. The caveat as with much else is if you're just starting out or haven't experienced a variety of different wheels and equipment you'll never know the difference.

No one would have believed in the formative years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

thats BS. 2:1 drive side/NDS lacing is useed by LOTS of wheel makers. you can even lace it yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:07 pm 

Custom build certainly.
Off-the-shelf, I've yet to see anybody do it apart from Campagnolo. It's simple and novel idea which they've already patented.

No one would have believed in the formative years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm 
in the industry

I have a standard 3T wheel here that is 2:1. Just saying..

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 am 

I think Horze is talking about the G3 pattern... I've never seen anything like that from another manufacturer

My Giant Defy Advanced