S5 Decision - Groupset options

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kemilyon

by kemilyon

Longtime lurker, first time posting. I hopefully will be a new owner of a Cervelo in the next week. Skip down to OPTIONS to skip the whole background story, I only am sharing in case someone with a similar issue can chime in.

Let me start by saying I ride/race an SL4 and have no plans to sell that bike. The fit is not perfect...I wish for just a smidgen more steerer tube length, the prior owner of the frame cut it quite aggressively, so I would rate it 8.5/10 on fit. Performance wise, 10/10.

I recently unloaded a CAAD10 which I loved but could never get a good fit. It was a 56cm, also slammed pretty low, and running a setback post and 130mm -10* stem I still needed to be more "out" and slightly more up.

So with experience on 4/5 bikes over the past several years I have figured out my problems with fit are much due to my extremely long monkey arms. I am just 6 feet tall (legs/torso pretty much equal), but in most 58 frames (that are EFFECTIVE 58 or slightly longer) I have to run at least a 120mm stem. I am really more comfortable with the reach on a 59/60 frame, but not so comfortable with other aspects of a frame that size.

What brought me to look at Cervelo is the very long height of the headtube vs top tube, in the geometry of the R3 and S5. This seems to allow tons of options for fit, from running anything for a 6 to 17 degree stem, and particularly for me and my crazy long arms.

My LBS has some great pricing, I think, on 2012 R3's and S5's. I decided on the S5 as I already have an SL4 and feel the S5 would complement it better (perhaps for use in road races while preferring the SL4 for criteriums). I do not do tri's or TT's, but this would also be versatile for those if that changes in the future. I don't find the S5 to be as ugly as many do, my only real concerns are the limitations on tire width (I prefer to race on 25mm) and on saddle options.

OPTIONS - NEED HELP DECIDING GROUP FOR S5 TEAM FRAMESET

Ultegra 6700 ($3,500): This is currently on the frame and what I test rode. I switched to SRAM several years ago but would be open to running Shimano again. I enjoy the quiet drive train and front derailleur performance (vs pre-2012 SRAM Red). I don't prefer the hood shapes and long shift throws (the hoods on di2 and DA 9000 are great however). After some saddle time, I get used to the hoods and shift just as quickly as I can with SRAM. Also in my past experiences, Shimano just seems to be very reliable, low maintenance. I don't get the positive feedback and tactile feel shifting as with SRAM, but it made me smile on the test ride to experience the quiet drivetrain and flawless FD performance I have missed for several years with SRAM.

Force/Red mix with upgrade to ROTOR chainset and cranks ($3,700): This is a slight favorite and really high value for the price; full SRAM force except new RED front derailleur and new RED shifters. I stay with SRAM but get much better front derailleur performance from what other have told me.

Campy Super Record 11 ($4,200): This is the oddballl option. I've always been intriqued by Campy and this is an awesome price, although the are much greater costs to consider particularly that all my wheelsets are SRAM/Shimano. There are only a few dealers that stock parts and much fewer options on wheelsets other than special order...but definately not getting any closeout deals from LBS options.

So what do you guys think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

I've got an S5 with ultegra di2 and its a great bike. Love it so much I just recently built up an R5 with the new Duraace Di2. You won't be able to put 25's on an S5. Also keep in mind on Shimano you can adjust the shifter throw to meet your liking. I don't know if you can do that on a SRAM setup. Good luck with your search for your Cervélo!

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I would say Sram.

But, are those prices the cost of the frame + groupset?

OrPe

by OrPe

Super record for $500 over force? a very good deal.

if you've ridden shimano & sram... try campy. i have switched and never looked back.
it is quite, effortless, and has that campy "thing" no other has.

surely you should test drive.

all assuming you can afford the $$$ differences.

OP

lbrasi

by lbrasi

the frame is quite heavy, you need a light groupset

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sram is not very great IMHO, SuperRecord for a touch more is motto worth it. If you want to dabble in some ITT's then Ultregra DI2 would possibly be an easy conversion w/ some auxillary shifters?

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

S5 with Ui2.

nismosr

by nismosr

4200 s5 with super is an awesome deal ...
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

jdp211

by jdp211

I'd go with Campy, because it rocks, but the only concern is that with you having other bikes, wheel swaps would be pretty difficult.

lbrasi

by lbrasi

jdp211 wrote:I'd go with Campy, because it rocks, but the only concern is that with you having other bikes, wheel swaps would be pretty difficult.

that's a pretty important point, the compatibility between your bikes,
btw. ui2 is far too heavy on a s5, it will be difficult to built up under 7500 g then

sawyer

by sawyer

lbrasi wrote:btw. ui2 is far too heavy on a s5, it will be difficult to built up under 7500 g then

+1 ... that feeling of disadvantage on the climbs with that combo!

I'd avoid, but then I'm a WW! :beerchug:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nismosr

by nismosr

to give you an idea .. this is my s5 with record 11

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓