New rear wheel?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I have had a DA 7800 32 hole rear hub NIB lying around for a few years and decided to have a wheel built around this hub. I know is is not the lightest and I would prefer a black hub.But being DA it should spin smoothly and last for years. So here are my thoughts based on a wheel I had built by Dave @ Speeddream wheels years ago and it has been bulletproof for years of riding.

Hub; DA 7800 32 hole
Rim; 24 hole velocity A23
Spokes;Wheelsmith AE15
Nipples;Brass DS/ Alloy NDS
Configuration; DS/ 16 count 1x -NDS/8 count 1x

What are your thoughts on a build like this?

Thanks Skiezo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Makes not much sense to me.

The 7801 has the best DS spacing available and relatively narrow NDS spacing, so what's the point of 16:8?
With a 16:8 lacing you'll have more tension on the NDS spokes than DS, so aluminum nipples NDS?
You are already short 4 pulling spokes, when you can lace the DS spokes perfectly tangential using 3x, why lace DS 1x?
Ideally you'd use a stiffer rim than something like an A23 for 16:8.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It will be a poor wheel. All you are saving is the weight of 8 spokes which is not that much. If you want to save weight use a lighter rim like the RR415 and Lasers or CX-rays. Triplet lacing work best with stiff rims and hubs designed specifically for it, the DA 7800 hb as good as it is is not that hub.

skiezo

by skiezo

Ok, Thanks for the Info.
I was trying to replicate a wheel that I had built in 2004 that used a record 32 hole hub and 24 hole Sun ringle venus rim.
I was looking at that wheel last night and it uses all brass nipples, 2x 16 DS, 2X 8 NDS with CX-rays.
That wheel has thousands of miles and has been a trouble free wheel over the years.
So I guess they will go into the for sale box that I have started.

Thanks Skiezo