What inner tube valve length for Zipp 303 Firecrest?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

showbiz

by showbiz

As above, unsure if 60mm will be enough, or if I should move up to 80mm?

I've got some new wheels coming and don't want to use the extenders.

Had a hunt on the Zipp website but couldn't find anything.

Anyone know the manufacturers recommendations?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phazon

by phazon

Use 60mm on mine no problem

mrd

by mrd

60 for me too/ plenty of stem left for co2 push on inflator or track pump.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

if you use long valve tubes in a carbon wheel you'll feel the stem weight every rotation, it's annoying descending even at 303 depth. Despite the OP not wanting extenders the better solution is to use standard stem length tubes with removable cores and a thread in alloy extender which moves the valve to the end. A win-win, valve at the end for ease of inflation and saves a few grams! Zipp sells them http://zipp.com/accessories/tires.php?Page=2 along with Tufo and few other folks (there are some steel ones out there so check). Just remember to take it off before you toss out a tube of course.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

60mm would do but since I am on latex I use 48mm RVC Challenge latex tubes with 31 mm Schwalbe extension (absolutely identical to Conti 30mm). Vredestein makes 60mm valve latex tubes but I do not have low cost access to them - they would be perfect. Still, I have no issues running mine at 80mm. Makes inflating really easy and with latex it's a daily affair :)
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

showbiz

by showbiz

Cosmo wrote:if you use long valve tubes in a carbon wheel you'll feel the stem weight every rotation, it's annoying descending even at 303 depth. Despite the OP not wanting extenders the better solution is to use standard stem length tubes with removable cores and a thread in alloy extender which moves the valve to the end. A win-win, valve at the end for ease of inflation and saves a few grams! Zipp sells them http://zipp.com/accessories/tires.php?Page=2 along with Tufo and few other folks (there are some steel ones out there so check). Just remember to take it off before you toss out a tube of course.

This sounds interesting. I might look into this..

Are the extenders you linked the same that come standard with the 303's?

What are some standard stem length tubes with removable cores that you would recommend?, or do you just use the Zipp Butyl inner tubes?

I'm new at this so specific links are definitely appreciated!

Cheers

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I don't know if these will work on a tube as an extender.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... 1908___696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, I use this with the tubulars as a replacement for the vittoria extenders on my 303 FC tubulars. I know you have clinchers and want an extender, but just a thought.

Beauty of these, inexpensive, different lengths, and the valve core is removable...critical for tubular latex repair/pit stop, valve needs to come out. Also, if you use latex sealant, like Tofu when you install new tires to help prevent flats.

Not sure why it wouldn't work for a clincher as an adapter, I believe they are the same size??

I run the 48mm and there is enough still sticking out, but with a tube and a valve that isn't removable, it would be way more than enough.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Cosmo wrote:if you use long valve tubes in a carbon wheel you'll feel the stem weight every rotation, it's annoying descending even at 303 depth. Despite the OP not wanting extenders the better solution is to use standard stem length tubes with removable cores and a thread in alloy extender which moves the valve to the end. A win-win, valve at the end for ease of inflation and saves a few grams! Zipp sells them http://zipp.com/accessories/tires.php?Page=2 along with Tufo and few other folks (there are some steel ones out there so check). Just remember to take it off before you toss out a tube of course.

Seriously????? You can feel the weight difference between an alloy extender and the normal valve stem of the same total length?????? Seriously??????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I use 80mm stems on my Reynolds DV3K's. I personally like the look of the longer valvestem on the 48mm rims. I also use 48mm valvestems on my RXL's.