HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am 

Hi All,
Need some help with a pair of 3T egosum LTD handlebars I bought and am trying to install campagnolo levers on. I bought these last week and went to install them today, removed the old bars and went to install the levers on the new bars and for the life of me I couldn't get the bolt to tighten enough to stop the levers moving. The new bars have a textured area where the levers are to be installed however this appears to make no difference. The bolts are at the point where I am actually worried about rounding out the head due to the force.

I have never experienced this before with previous bars, do I need to use carbon paste or something similar to stop the levers moving?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am 

I have the same ltd bar running with sram red. controls sit bomb proof with 5nm torqued clamps. so no help fm my side and it sounds strange to me.
where did you purchase your bar?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:30 pm 

Rock solid with 7800 shifters here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm 

I've installed Campy 11 levers on ergosum (and many other bars) - no problems here. Any chance the threads on the nut or bolt are damaged?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:38 pm 
Shop Owner

Forget about the toughened surface. Every shifter on a carbon bar, and some on aluminum bars, get assembly grip paste between them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:41 am 

bura wrote:
I have the same ltd bar running with sram red. controls sit bomb proof with 5nm torqued clamps. so no help fm my side and it sounds strange to me.
where did you purchase your bar?

Same here. Red mounted right up, and torqued down properly. I'd examine the bolts, for stripped threads, or the clamps for debris stuck in 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 am 

Thanks for the replys all.

Bars were purchased new from ebay. Examining them there does not appear to be anything amiss. But I haven't check the diameter with a pair of calipers yet. I have pulled the clamp off and greased the interal bolt so there doesn not appear to be any problems with the clamp itself.
I went and purchased some finishline assembly paste but it hasnt made any difference, I can still rotate the levers on the bars. From examination it's appearing as though there is not enough surface area in contact between the lever body and the bars to enable friction/ clamping force to prevent rotating.

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 am