Cervelo S5 vs specialized venge and R5 vs super6 evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bely

by Bely

Sending it to calfee is a bit of a pain...:( and I don't trust myself or the local lbs to drill..
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Bely wrote:the s5 looks the bizniz...but I am not fond of how it looks to be honest...neither am I too fond of the tmr01

Like someone else said, Calfee can make your R5 di2 ready. I agree it is annoying that it is not already.

IMHO the S5 looks better in person than in photos (especially in the smaller/medium sizes) and the TMR01 looks worse.

But I'm still seriously considering the TMR01.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

mastaYD

by mastaYD

NWSAlpine wrote:Hills: Evo or NP Bura SL

Flats: Venge or NP Alize

Note: I am biased to NeilPryde because I own one. Obviously the best bikes in the world :P

I'm perfectly agree with this opinion. very nice frame!

airwise

by airwise

Test rides should be compulsory. It's not just weight and aerodynamics, the bikes ride qualities are very very different. For me, the Evo is a bike that qualifies as an all rounder. Stick some aero wheels on it and it will be good on the flats without compromising all day comfort or climbing efficiency.

Both Neil Prydes have incredibly stiff front ends that make them a more challenging ride over a long ride. Good bikes for short rides on perfect road surfaces.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

airwise wrote:Both Neil Prydes have incredibly stiff front ends that make them a more challenging ride over a long ride. Good bikes for short rides on perfect road surfaces.

I hear the Bura SL has a stiff fornt end but one of the changes suggested by the pros on the first Alize was to stiffen the front up a little. I think they did on the new second generation Alize that UHC is riding now. They also added PF30 and changed the internal routing to Di2 ready.

I have Zip SL bars and I find the front very smooth and plenty stiff for me. The carbon bars was a nice upgrade in feel when I was on my old CAAD10. The Alize is more enjoyable on longer rides than my CAAD10 and I loved my CAAD10.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Also one thing that is nice about the Alize is that they offer a TT seatpost so you can run it with some clip on aero bars for your sprint races. http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/tt- ... rview.html

Now they have the Bayamo TT bike so they don't run the Alize for TT anymore.

airwise

by airwise

Bura, Diablo and Alize all had far too unforgiving front ends for me. Quick bikes mind. And the company were great to deal with.

The Diablo was very quick - I just found other bikes to be more forgiving over the bumps. Good shout for the carbon bars though - I found they were a must have.

Bely

by Bely

I don't really get to test ride bikes where I am from
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

SDP

by SDP

wait for the propel & 2 prs wheels..job done :grin:

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Vuong05

by Vuong05

If test riding any of the bikes is not possible, then you're going to have to take the comments from forum members with more emphasis. If you're not in a rush, wait until test rides are possible for these frames.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I don't have all those bikes, but both the Venge and the S5 are pretty fine rides.

I have one season on Bert's McLaren from '11, but only a few rides on Dan Martin's S5 from '12. Still waiting for my Foil from GreenEdge... Notwithstanding that the carbon layups on the World Tour race bikes (and forks) are different than the stock bikes, with the power most of us can produce, it wont make that much of a difference.

I would say that both bikes 'feel' more aero than a conventional bike. They are both plenty stiff at the bottom bracket and headtube. Personally, I think that the S5 looks better.

sawyer

by sawyer

Geoff - what % of the team Venge's used by OPQ for example are non-stock lay-ups? I would have guess Cavendish might have a non-stock one, but most would be on stock??

OP - I was facing the S5/Venge issue recently and went with the Venge. Geo suited me better and it's significantly lighter. Aero-wise there didn't seem to be much in it.

Personally prefer the looks of the Venge though both look awful in large sizes IMO.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rmerka

by rmerka

Bely wrote:Now for the weenie in me..I am for the weenie I would like to have ;).... I actually have a super six evo but it isn't di2 ready..and jeez i am sorry I sound like an a*hole, but its kind of annoying to see the wires all taped outside the frame...I know the r5 isn't di2 ready also...sigh...but always loved the green r5...

Had my R5 retrofitted at Ruckus Composites. Loved the job they did, it took about 4 weeks.

Geoff

by Geoff

@sawyer, I was not speaking specifically about Quickstep, but professional bikes in general. As it turnes-out, the Venge racebikes are actually 'stock' bikes in the sense that they are the same McLaren lay-up schedule that you can buy from Specialized, but with the Team paint (and a reinforced steerer tube, that you can also get).

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

Hmm... Then whatcha gonna do with your Dogma? :S
It isn't going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com