whether to cut steerer tube

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

taina

by taina

I just lowered the -10 degree stem on my 1999 Colnago Oval Master Titanium another 10 mm, so that it's now below 40mm of spacers. It can't go any lower. The bike would look better with, say, 30mm of the spacer tower lopped off. Would it be worthwhile to have an experienced mechanic cut the steerer tube? It's a 1" steerer tube, on a fork labeled Colnago. In the unlikely event of a mechanic error, it might be hard to find parts to make it right. I'm not thinking about maintaining versatile sizing to make it easier to sell the bike later.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Bring it to a good mechanic, and not to one of Walmart's expert bike assemblers.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If this is a carbon steer tube you can use a tool to keep the metal saw blade straight.

If this is a aluminum steer tube you can use a tool to keep the metal saw blade straight.

If this is a threaded steel tube you can do the same but make sure you measure correctly and cut it straight or you will be unable to thread the headset on. Then you will need to re-thread.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

On threaded steerer tubes, always put the first threaded part of the headset on the fork before cutting. When you are done, removing the cone will clean up any deformed threads.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That is a good idea to do it that way. Maybe cleaning and adding a bit of oil to the threads as well before removing the screwed in headset piece.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

kode54

by kode54

besides using a cutting guide for cutting the carbon steerer tube, i use a carbon cutting blade (without actual teeth, but a textured cutting edge), and wrap the area i'm cutting with 3M Scotch tape to prevent fraying. after cutting, i peel the tape off and use a metal file (singlecut) and or sand paper to smooth out the cut edge...slightly bevel the edges. this keeps the steerer tube edge from catching the rubber seal on the top headset cap.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

nicrump

by nicrump

taina wrote:I just lowered the -10 degree stem on my 1999 Colnago Oval Master Titanium another 10 mm, so that it's now below 40mm of spacers. It can't go any lower. The bike would look better with, say, 30mm of the spacer tower lopped off. Would it be worthwhile to have an experienced mechanic cut the steerer tube? It's a 1" steerer tube, on a fork labeled Colnago. In the unlikely event of a mechanic error, it might be hard to find parts to make it right. I'm not thinking about maintaining versatile sizing to make it easier to sell the bike later.

you know switching to a -6* will net you another 5mm stack(for a 100mm stem)

taina

by taina

I started to get back into cycling three years ago. But I never got out of trigonometry. With getting rid of spacers and lowering stem angle, I've lowered my handlebars almost 12 cm over three years, in small increments, months apart. By the time I'm good enough to deserve a Crumpton, I'll be ready to go lower than the headtube on my current bike reasonably allows.

Thanks for the advice. I had a very good mechanic cut the steerer tube.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

eric

by eric

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com