Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

konky

by konky

My RSX Ulteam pedals have served me well since 2008. They were on my R3SL then transfered to my R5. Nothing has broken on them in 5 years and functionally they feel as good as new. But the engagement still pisses me off. I recently swapped them out for Speedplay. I have to say for me the Speedplay pedals, especially with Speedplay dedicated Sidis, are sublime. They just make my pedal action feel more powerful and faster. The whole engagement process is 10X better. Now all 3 of my bikes are Speedplay equipped.

In my view Speedplay with dedicated Speedplay shoes are the best option out there for function and at 120g (titanium model with alu bowties) one of the lightest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

lannes wrote:I love my expresso 12 as well, but coming from RXS Carbon Ti , there is not much difference, the lateral float on the RXS is smoother, there seems to be more resistance in the xpresso due to the cleat material. Extra platform size is immaterial if you have a pair of stiff carbon soles.
Using the xpressos with Shimano SH-R320 shoes

You know that float feel is adjustable right? just turn the little flat head screw that runs acrodd the carbon spring and you get 3 different settings for 'feel'

Wingnut

by Wingnut

konky wrote:In my view Speedplay with dedicated Speedplay shoes are the best option out there for function and at 120g (titanium model with alu bowties) one of the lightest.

Maybe one of the lightest but 'in my view' they are not the best functioning pedals, the placebo effect is noticeable when first used but when you return back to TIME or Shimano etc the difference in cleat/pedal interface becomes obvious...but hey opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one... :wink:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I can't believe Time lied. They are not 155 grams! :shock:

Send them back asap. :mrgreen:

You're not the only one out there with ueberlight Xpresso 12s. :D

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Juanmoretime wrote:I can't believe Time lied. They are not 155 grams! :shock:

Mine weighed in at 152 even with a coat of anti-seize on the threads!

engi

by engi

FWIW, I've been using Xpresso 2s (the low end model) since the start of the year. Really like them so far - clip in is easy, nice wide platform, and plenty of adjustability.
Nothing broke yet (knock on wood). Because of the futuristic shape, the outer edges are quite sharp and I've scratched my calves a few times just not paying attention when walking the bike.

dvincere

by dvincere

I've had mine for a while now, too. I own the Xpresso 8 pros. Easily the best pedal for me that I've ridden. I appreciate the extra pedal platform area compared to my previous Speedplays. They spin super smoothly. They don't need the same level of maintenance. And for a lighter guy, clipping in is a pure joy. No more throwing my weight onto the pedal to get in. Downsides so far are they clog just as readily as speedplay. The cleats will wear fast judging on their wear level currently -- I hope that replacements are cheap and easy to source.

engi

by engi

x2 on the clogging! Stepped off on soft ground (not muddy, just soft) to take a piss and then couldn't clip in for a good minute. Had to find a stick to clean out the cleats. :) Never even thought about it when I had eggbeaters on my road bike.

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

Two new pairs of iClic2's just installed and have had a half dozen rides. Early impressions really good. Came off of Crank Brothers Quattros.

ShortBusCruiser

by ShortBusCruiser

I just upgraded from SPD's and installed my Xpresso 6 today. This will be my second year cycling so I don't know crap in comparison to many of you... But I have to say "wow" these were very nice. They'll be much better for my centuries. Admitted newbi here but nice is nice. Hope to God they hold up.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Had some iclic2 carbon ti's since January and the metal plates just broke off on one of the pedals.
After playing with Look Keo blade ti and Time Iclic2's for about a year now, I am back to DA carbon. They are just so solid and never have problems. Although I was tempted with the Xpresso 12's, I have just had too many problems with french pedals. LBS let me swap the Time's for DA9000.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

pritchet74

by pritchet74

coloclimber wrote:After playing with Look Keo blade ti and Time Iclic2's for about a year now, I am back to DA carbon. They are just so solid and never have problems. Although I was tempted with the Xpresso 12's, I have just had too many problems with french pedals. LBS let me swap the Time's for DA9000.

Nearly the same story for me. I went from Time RXS to Look Keo Ti's to Ultegra Carbon pedals and have never been happier with a pedal. I would LOVE to shed weight from the pedals and these are tempting, but it's like dating an ex-girfriend again. You always forget why you left her in the first place. I don't need to go down that road with pedals again.

So tempted though....

152 grams would be awesome....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Had some iclic2 carbon ti's since January and the metal plates just broke off on one of the pedals.

These are replaceable and as such repairable.
Take French engineering to Germany.... It may take a European to understand this kind of cynicism.

Still, so far, the new Expresso deal seems to be holding up just fine.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

pritchet74 wrote:I went from Time RXS to Look Keo Ti's to Ultegra Carbon pedals and have never been happier with a pedal. ... but it's like dating an ex-girfriend again. You always forget why you left her in the first place. I don't need to go down that road with pedals again.
But in this case, it would be more like dating her daughter ... or granddaughter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pje0713

by pje0713

I have the xpresso 12s. I have ridden them about 200 miles or so thus far. I am completely enamored with them. Clipping system works perfectly; much better than look carbon blades. They return to a better, more consistent position when I'm clipped out than my look carbon blades too. Nice long platform. Incredibly light. Look good. Incredibly light. Again, really really light.

I really hope they hold up!