New Cervelo California, the Rca

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Good catch: I hadn't looked at the White Paper. Plot here:

One issue there: If I'm Cervelo I picked a white Evo.

On the matter of STA: true, it doesn't affect stack/reach. But for example for me it's a factor, because I run 2.5 cm of setback, and I like my saddle mid-rails. Paying this much for a frame better result in zero compromises on geometry (not that I'd pay this much under any circumstances...). But geometry aside, it's extremely nice: I have to say that extra bit nicer than the Evo Black, considering the tube shaping, which is virtually perfect.

F45

by F45

Strange that they list the aerodynamics of the Madone 7.9 but do not include it on the weight chart.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Dammit! Most bikes give you a short marketing blurb which is effectively "OUR BIKE IZ AWESUM!!1!! BUY IT! also, laterally stiff yet vertically compliant etc"
But Cervelo has a 29 page design document showing EXACTLY how laterally stiff yet vertically compliant etc it is. As a bike dweeb this really speaks to me.

If it wasn't stupid expensive I'd be ordering one.

Liggero

by Liggero

Sorry but, where in that list is the Hong Fu FM-066 SL? is nearly the lightest and for the price of the rca you can buy 20 of them or more...no kidding, 20 units...
Happy Trails !!!

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Well, RCA is a clone of FM066SL ;)
FM066SL would be somewhere between R5 and Scott Foil only due to aluminium bb.

eric

by eric

The FM066SL is heavier than the Rca by quite a bit. My 56cm is 910g set up for cables and with hanger. My R3SL was 820g similarly configured.

It's an ok frame but the front end ride is rougher than my R3SL with Enve 1.0 fork. If I paid $10k for a frame I'd be dissapointed if it rode like that.

mastaYD

by mastaYD

I'll choose Neilpryde Bura sl and save 6500dollors..

djconnel

by djconnel

Sure, you can get excellent frames for a fraction of the price, and I certainly wouldn't spend $10k on any frame, let alone one with stock geometry, but I deeply admire the work that's gone into this one. It's funny comparing it to FM066SL: sure, they're both the same shape... so's this:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

mastaYD wrote:I'll choose Neilpryde Bura sl and save 6500dollors..

Cool, so you'll get a frameset that is 150 grams heavier and has no aero tubing (and isn't cutting edge).

djconnel

by djconnel

This is interesting: plot I made from White Paper data:

There appears to be a transition from frame strength limited (< 56 cm) to stiffness limited (> 56 cm) design.

General scaling is 498.3 grams + 2.333 grams/cm up to 54 cm, but then for larger sizes analytic form is less obvious.
Last edited by djconnel on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Pharmstrong wrote:Wow. Love the frame, I'll consider one when they start making them in Taiwan for a reasonable price though. $10k...

You'll have a long wait. Cervelo likes Chinese production. Probably more cost effective when warranty is taken into account!

uraqt

by uraqt

Not so sure about having to wait for the Taiwan ones, somebody posted that there was a picture in velonews with the garmin guys on a "team" ones and it's not unreasonable to assume that the 2014 R bikes will have everything but the fancy glue and nano fork. So it possible that you could get one before the end of the year. From a timing point of view the R5CA was out May I think and cervelo had the changes ready for the follow year, so either they are 3 months ahead of schedule or 9 months behind, not that it matters

Also In an interview Phil said that they have interesting bikes come out before the end of the year. I am guessing that not having a battery/ultegra bike is not good for sales, three of my non rider friends were looking at bikes and fell in love with di2 ultegra bikes.

C

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Given that this lists for $10k -- how much can this frameset be had realistically from an authorized dealer/LBS?

Ghost234

by Ghost234

You won't find much of a discount if any. The wholesale cost on this frame breaks the traditional margins - your dealer isn't making all that much on this.

Not to mention Cervelo is VERY strict about their pricing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

mythical wrote: RCA: it's BBright. It seems we can't have it all after all. Any weight savings made with the frame is paid back in crankset weight due to the limited selection of compatible cranks, although the THM Clavicula is available with BBright solution, but it won't be the lightest.

Lightning has BBRight.

I'm very happy with my Lightning as long as I periodically oil the spider interface to prevent creaking. It took me embarrassingly long to figure out this solution.