Tired of frozen fingers, best low profile winter gloves?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bhowe

by Bhowe

Fellas, with spring coming, I'm looking to try and pick up a nice pair of low profile, but very warm winter gloves.

What have you used and liked? I'm not into lobster claws and the such.

Wind proof is a must!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

I have not tried them, but these caught my attention:
http://glacierglove.com/our-products/cycling.html

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Best thing i ever did was to purchase a set of merino wool liners. I use these woth a variety of different outer gloves, most of them cheap ones so that i can have multiple ones and adjust according to different weather.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

bricky21

by bricky21

for what kind of temperatures?

There is no such thing as a low profile substitute for Lobster mitts. That is why they exist. I don't know anybody who Really likes them.

For temps above mitten weather I have a pair of fleece lined neoprene ice fishing gloves that are wind and water proof. Put a lightweight liner in them and they're almost as warm as lobster mitts, but too restricting.

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree with Bricky

When it's really cold I use ski gloves - lightish ones but warm.

For somewhat warmer weather - say down to about 0c I use SPORTFUL WS Pursuit Tech Glove Winter with a pair of wool liner gloves on the outside. Actually very effective and critically low-pro and doesn't restict movement in the way cramming the liner on the inside does.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I'm a big fan of Assos 851. On their own they keep me comfortable below freezing and with a pair of some of those cheap wool or cotton liners I was comfortable down to 7F (coldest day I have been able to ride on so far)
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Gore has a line of gloves designed specifically for road riding (and another line for MTB). The road gloves are excellent. Err on the side of warmth, always.

mattr

by mattr

I have some Chiba gloves that are a few years old. Just have to be careful taking them off as the liner turns inside out, and it has about 4 layers. And utter sod to get back into place.
But waterproof, windproof, warm and pretty low profile.

I use them from about 0 down to -10, then with a merkalon liner down to -15 (ish). Might be worth a look.

lannes

by lannes

I like the Castelli Chiro, if you want extra warmth wear a set of liners

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/563/

mofo

by mofo

The best gloves...............

They are called rollers, indoors with coffee, making little sweat angles

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

The warmest gloves I have found are all Ski gloves. Since I ski and ride I have exposure to both industries. Ski gloves are on closeout almost everywhere right now and most have a more or less pre curved shape that works well with bars. They might be a little thick, but are still tolerable as far as that goes. I am not giving brands since all mine are at least 3 years old and models change.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Ski gloves are a great idea. Built for holding on round tubes, sound like something that fits the cold weather needs.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

if you are talking about freezing weather, sorry, i'm no help (lived in South Florida and South Texas). However, if you are talking about chilly (or chili) weather, i have a pair of descente gloves i ride under my regular riding gloves. They provide good warmth, and i can peel them off when the weather warms up enough to ride using regular gloves.

drchull

by drchull

I have a set of Garneau gloves that are great. low profile palms. Five finger gloves with a pull out cover that turns them into lobster gloves. With the cover pulled out am good down to zero. Any colder than that I can't help with because I hit the trainer or track.

elSid

by elSid

Get some mittens. Seriously. Your shifting won't be as dexterous, but if you're just trying to get in the miles, as opposed to racing, mittens will keep you comfortable longer.

I use leather Swany skiing mittens, but have used sealskinz before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com