Sram Exogram Cranks & Extralite RC2 chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Wondered if anyone has any recent experience of Extralite Octaramp RC2 chainrings? I am considering swapping them on my Sram Exogram crankset but would like to hear recent experiences (older posts didnt seem to be very positive). From looking at the website, it looks as though the catch pin has two insertion points which is a positive (i will confirm with Extralite) but would prefer rings that dont throw the chain in the first place!!

Also, has anyone tried them with Exogram cranks? I have pm'd Terzuya who appears to have done from the "New Red Crank" thread - but any other comments appreciated. Also, any other recommendations for compact rings (other than praxis, as i dont want a 'clover' ring).

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Having been one of the people who gave up on extralite rings a number of years back, I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased a set of lightning cranks w/ the RC rings on them. I gave them a try not expecting much and I couldn't believe it. They must have fixed something because they shift perfectly. The only chain drop I've had in the past 6 months was 1, and that was when I was still using a vumaquad crankset so it wasn't these rings. I was so impressed I purchased a set of the newer rings in black- shifting has been just as good and they look much better on my all black bike (they're also 4g lighter).
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I will let you know because I am doing the exact thing you describe. My chainrings are actually at the post office for pick-up today and I will install on the new SRAM Exogram crank tonight for riding. Hopefully everything goes well but will let you know.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Excellent; would be useful to hear what else you are using on drivetrain and changers.

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I am running SRAM Red pre-2012 on FD, RD and Shifters. I will be using a Yaban Ti chain and a Ti/Alumn cassette (both were selected for weight savings 208 g chain & 98 g cassette). I am putting everything together tonight but fup'd a chainring bolt because I didn't heat up the locktite on the bolts. I am hoping my shop has a spare sitting around that I can get from them.

I tuned the RD w/carbon jockey wheels and rear plate from Fiberlyte and used the bolt kit from Far and Near. I didn't get as crazy as a lot of guys on this site with the drilling but dropped 24 g off the rear. The FD dropped 2 g with bolt kit.

I will let you know how it goes.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Sure you already know, but extralite have confirmed dual position for catch pin (which should work with hidden crank arm bolt). They weren't terribly helpful on compatibility with exogram cranks, other than telling me ok for 10/11 speed chains and giving me link to website.

I have asked them if they have any reviews or customer feedback .... Will wait and see!

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Did they say where to position the catch pin in relation to the hidden crank arm bolt; if not I am sure I can figure it out once I get the rings and look at the crank.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

No, but expect should be behind crank. As a betting man, I reckon the one supplied will be too long!

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Well here is the crank with the Extralite chainrings. Mine is compact 50/34. The pin actually fit perfectly behind the arm and actually has two options for placement which worked out well seeing as only one placement worked for the Exogram.

If I could actually figure out how to post pictures I would show you what it looks like but this site makes doing that almost impossible for the computer illiterate

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Got an answer from extralite today:

"it's compatible but you have to insert a 0,4mm shim between bigger ring and crankarm.".

I have asked for a little more detail and will update if I receive anything.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm interested in seeing how this setup works, because I want to do the same. Also, where are you guys buying the chainraings? Fairwheels seems to be out of them. Are you getting them straight from Extralite?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Mine is going well so far! Based in UK and bought from r2 in Germany. Crankset without bearings was 468g.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

That's a great weight. Do they just bolt right on, or are spacers needed?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Didn't bother with spacer in the end - cant say I have noticed any issues so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liketoride

by liketoride

i did not use any spacers and mine run smooth.